Government proposal to license photography

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I have read in one of the many photo mag's that the UK gov. are trying to impose licensing for all photography.
Its down to them getting paranoid over terrorism.

Does anyone know of any details of this, as I cannot find any info with google?

and also,

What are your thoughts on this subject?

You mean you need a camera licence?

I have not heard of this before your post Matt, however knowing the British government if this turns out to be true I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised. I can understand the terrorism angle especially with the recent attacks and heightened state of alert that seems to be constant since the Iraq war, but the cynic in me wonders about the many people that are now using photography as a hobby, pastime or even a business.

What type of license are we to have, how will we be monitored and who will pay for it, us or the government?

Not wanting to turn this discussion into a political topic but could this be yet another stealth tax?

there is a letter in this weeks Amature Photographer , at the back,
it mentions this, but as stated in the letter, it would be almost impossible to enforce,

i also think it would be wholy unworkable, and would also kill tourisme dead in the uk, cuz who would want to pay to take pix

MyPix

I think it may be a case of chinese whispers.
Licensing photography as an activity would be nigh on impossible. They can't license cars, drivers, people (passports), or anything else effectively, so photography would be no different ;)

Seriously though, it would be impossible to license and then further enforce. If we about to see the first cameras hit the shelves, then it wouldnt be too hard to license from the beginning, but as cameras have been around for donkeys, then it's impossible.
We now have cameras on phones, security cameras, pinhole cameras. Even cameras in cars, nurserys, cots.
Where does the definition of 'photography' end.

I think (wrt the chinese whispers), regarding the terrorist angle, it could be something like licensing the photography of government buildings or something like that )ie possible terrorist targets?).

Stealth Tax? It would be a funny attempt, but I don't even think the government would be stupid enough to try it :D

We will keep you safe from all the nasty people in the world, just let us do what we like politics.

All sorts of issues with human rights there. Unworkable, unethical and down right daft idea. If true.

I agree Fungus.

This whole terrorist threat bullship is getting tired now, I am pretty sure there is no greater threat to the UK now than in all the years of busy periods of PIRA.

National ID cards bacuase of Terrorism, Camera licencing because of terrorism, I imagine there is loads of crap being pushed through under the heading of terror prevention.

On this little island we had a siren test yesterday, air raid sirens covering the whole island, quite why we have no idea, "National emergency" the book says, pfffft ... more like a poor atempt from (Our) government to make the paraniod feel better.

Rant over.

Google is not throwing anything up. Given how big the photography community i'm sure we would have heard more of this.

Liberalis said:
I agree Fungus.

This whole terrorist threat bullship is getting tired now, I am pretty sure there is no greater threat to the UK now than in all the years of busy periods of PIRA.

National ID cards bacuase of Terrorism, Camera licencing because of terrorism, I imagine there is loads of crap being pushed through under the heading of terror prevention.

On this little island we had a siren test yesterday, air raid sirens covering the whole island, quite why we have no idea, "National emergency" the book says, pfffft ... more like a poor atempt from (Our) government to make the paraniod feel better.

Rant over.

Sadly, you couldn't be more wrong about the threats this country faces, but I couldn't agree more about the way it's being handled. The reason terrorists don't often succeed is actually that most of them aren't that good at being terrorists rather than our security arrangements being efficient.

Back