Gower Rock Pool

Excellent subject matter, but the HDR is way, way over done for my taste, I'm afraid. The muddied midtones make it very difficult for the eye to roam around the image, meaning that all you're left looking at are the small rocks in the foreground.

I love shots that claim to be of one thing, but actually show (at least to me) another. I can see a naked lady here. On the right - her thighs nearest the camera, lying on her back, breasts upwards and head at the rear. You can see her right arm by the side. But all that actually makes it quite interesting.

You are low on exposure on the histogram (and the actual look of it), but I do like the composition and quirkiness of it.

I live near the Gower. Do you have her phone number? :LOL:

I love shots that claim to be of one thing, but actually show (at least to me) another. I can see a naked lady here. On the right - her thighs nearest the camera, lying on her back, breasts upwards and head at the rear. You can see her right arm by the side. But all that actually makes it quite interesting.

You are low on exposure on the histogram (and the actual look of it), but I do like the composition and quirkiness of it.

I live near the Gower. Do you have her phone number? :LOL:

Well spotted on the naked lady :)

Not over keen on the photo, the composition is fine but the tones in the foreground look off to me. Sorry

Steve

Thanks for all the comments, positive and negative, I wondered if anyone else would notice the lady!

I must admit, I like the rocks, the processing in the case of those isnt too far off what I actually viewed, the sky on the other hand is way out, I could not balance it.

I would like to have another go at it. This was produced in Photomatix, although as you can probably tell I am experimenting a little trying to learn as much as possible.

Any suggestions on when I re-attempt it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the comments.

I think the HDR is overdone, maybe try a ND grad filter (3plus stops) to lessen the difference in exposure between the sky and rocks, otherwise try making the rocks/pool the main focus and let the sky brighten, it may give the image a point of interest that viewers can latch onto

I really like the composition, but like some previous posters, the HDR PP is too overdone for my tastes. I suppose what we have to bear in mind though is that it is subjective and purely a matter of taste.

Sorry for the delay in replying, shot was at 10mm (F22 1/50 hand held) (Canon 60D & Sigma 10-20)

I have had another stab at it (non HDR):

Rocks by Chris (aka Seedubs), on Flickr

Not sure I like this one, too bright, may revisit it again when I have the time.

I actually prefer the HDR one in this case. I'm not a huge fan of HDR, but think it works really well in this case.

The naked lady looks a bit hard and stony to me though :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:coat:

Great shot the HDR and non HDR is nice. I would tone down the highlights on the non HDR one to get more contrast in the clouds. But awesome. Well done

Third time lucky. HDR is so polarising ( no pun intended ) and this is my favourite by far. Just that boost in the mid tone colours to improve it from the non HDR has turned it into a stunner now......

Many many thanks for the comments and guidance, much appreciated.

The pictures ruined for me now. All I can see is that naked lady! Nice shot though.

Back