GPS Add on for Canon?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Is there any GPS add on for Canon 40D so it can store latitude and data like that in the photo... As some of you may know that iPhoto 09 can take advantage of this

I think you have to go through the WFT-E3 to get any form of GPS functionality.

I think you have to go through the WFT-E3 to get any form of GPS functionality.

Yes you do

I think if you synchonise a GPS time signal with that in the camera you can overlay the two data feeds.

This is what i do, use a Garmin GPS unit that stores the tracks and then sync the clocks, most software can deal with this now either directly or with plugins.

Use a Garmin (eTrex Vista HCx) like IanC_UK & Just Dave. A handheld is so much more versatile then a camera only gps unit that it's worth the addition cost & additional step, in the workflow, merging the gps to the picture.

Use GeoSetter to merge the gps with the raw file.

Why do you want to link your camera to a GPS?

If you take photos in loads of different locations it's good to know exactly where you took them.

I'm going to Chernobyl in April. Driving through Europe and will stop off on the way loads of times to photograph different stuff. I'm thinking GPS would be perfect for that, it's not always easy to remember exactly where you took shots.

Also I have a google map, of my photo locations, I share with other togs so I put them on there using Long & Lat with the images so they can go visit them

Ill be upgrading to iLife 09 at some point and would like some form of geotaging for my 450d, ideally this would be built in to something like a battery grip and recorded in the camera to the EXIF data

I use one of these tracking devices:

http://www.gps4less.co.uk/shop001/product.php?xProd=2462

Apart from providing GPS data which can be integrated into Lightroom, via a plug, in for future reference, because it functions independently from your camera it is very useful for tracking the route you took on a trip. Saves a lot of time researching maps afterwards.

Just switch it on prior to a trip - have it in your pocket or bag - and forget about it for the day.

Blimey - the things you young 'uns get up to!:thinking::thinking:

I've long thought I must be lucky in my abilities to read from an ordnance survey map, to be able to find my way around usually without reference to a map and to remember where I've been, even years after.

I'd never thought about locating a position to a yard each way in order to share it with a wider public.

Sometimes I think the white hot heat of the information age is passing me by.:shrug:

I use one of these tracking devices:

http://www.gps4less.co.uk/shop001/pr...php?xProd=2462

Apart from providing GPS data which can be integrated into Lightroom, via a plug, in for future reference, because it functions independently from your camera it is very useful for tracking the route you took on a trip. Saves a lot of time researching maps afterwards.

Just switch it on prior to a trip - have it in your pocket or bag - and forget about it for the day.

Dead link!
Might see if I can get my Garmin Edge 305 to do this for me, want recomendations for freeware that will combine the data on a Mac?

Dead link!
Might see if I can get my Garmin Edge 305 to do this for me, want recomendations for freeware that will combine the data on a Mac?

Try this one:

http://www.gps4less.co.uk/shop001/product.php?xProd=2462

I use a Lightroom & a free Lightroom plug in on my Mac so I have no need for a stand alone application. HoudaGPS will do it but ists not free - about $30 if I remember correctly.

Tom are you into geocaching too, its another great hobby, love hide and seek, it goes well with photography, and takes you all over the place (y)

Cheers for that link Dave will look further into that.

Have only started to use recently - mainly because because I was fed up looking at maps trying to work out which loch or other view I had been photographing.

Now I just switch the tracking device on in the morning, into my pocket and it logs my travels during the day. The tracking data can then be used with google maps and, with the Lightroom plug in, being integrated with images after the images have been brought into Lightroom. Saves a lot of time and the tracks can be kept as a permanent record.

Also the device can be used for any trip tracking requirements.

any thoughts on a windows mobile ap that will do this as my next phone will have gps (and windows mobile 6.1) as it looks like a good idea

Back