Grad Filters, please explain the 'systems'

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've done a search but not really found a simple (basic) description of the grad filter systems, Lee / Cokin etc.

As Christmas is on it's way and I'm likely to get some cash I thought now would be a good time to get some grad filter/s but on looking on a few shopping sites I discovered I don't really know what I'm talking about here :eek:

So, my question is, which type of grads would be good to start with and precisely what would I need? as I'm not a really enthusiastic landscape photographer but do some occasionally.

I'm guessing square filters are the ones to go for so that they are adjustable.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Paul.

Have a look at the videos on the Lee site http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system#nd-videobox - these explain how the things work. The same principles apply to most of the systems out there.
There's also one specifically on grads too - http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/ndgrads#nd-videobox. Have a look at the other vids they have for the different filter types - even as a "seasoned" user I found them enlightening.

As a general principle - you can get away with square filters when they're the same shade/darkness over the entire filter but for grads then rectangular ones are the way to go as you can slide them up and down in the holder to match what you're trying to shoot.

As a start then a hard grad is probably a good first port of call - especially on an APS crop camera - the transition of a soft grad is too gentle for MOST situations with this type of camera. 0.6 (2 stops) is a pretty useful starting point. Having said that I have 1, 2 and 3 stop ND grads in both hard and soft and use them all at various points.

Everyone has their favourite brand Cokin, Hitech and Lee seem to be the most common going from cheap to expensive - but there are other brands out there.

Other filters to think of - depends on what you want to photograph - ND filters (not graduated) are useful to lengthen exposure times - or enable you to use a wider aperture in bright light for shallow DOF without going to fast shutter speeds (this use is often overlooked - although the aperture/shutter speed thing is just two sides of the same coin). There can go from fairly mild (1 stop) to the good old 10 stop "Big Stopper" type filters for really long exposures.

Polarisers - useful in many situations - I think there's a vid on the Lee site that shows their various uses.......

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
And while I'm on it - go for 100mm systems - the smaller ones can cause problems with encroaching on the field of view of wide angle lenses.......

Thanks Chris, I'll be taking a look at those videos later.

Mark, thank you, an informative read that,

OK here goes:

Cokin A is the smallest, Then Lee Seven5 (75mm), Cokin P (85mm), Cokin Z (100mm) and Lee also do a 150mm system.

The size you need depends on the size of you lens. The quality also varies wildly, Cokin at the bottom, followed by Hitech, Kood, then Lee at the top. Filters of the same size will fit in holders from any of the other brands, you don't have to stick with one.

Cokin P is good down to 17mm on Full frame or thereabouts, depending on the specifics of the lens in question, catering for filter sizes up to 82mm. Lee 100mm will go a fair bit wider, again depending on the lens and holder in use.

For most uses, I recommend cheap ebay holders of Cokin P size and Kood grads. For about £50 you could have a couple of grads and a variety of holders and adapter rings to suit your whole range of lenses.

Back