Graduated filter effect

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I have a problem, because Nikon made the 14-24mm 2.8, such a big lump of glass, it's next to impossible to put any filters on it. However I need to be able to replicate the effect of having an ND graduated filter on the lens, as I don't like blown out skies in my landscapes.

I often like to shoot landscapes with moving animals in them. I know very little about what PS can do, but can I replicate the ND graduated effect with one RAW exposure, or do I need several differing exposures?

I know you can do it it Lightroom with RAW and JPEG and CS4 with a RAW file.

Dont know if the effect is as good but heres an example using Lightroom.

DSC00700.jpg

You can obviously replicate the 'effect' by underexposing the entire shot or exposing for the sky then bringing detail back by lightening the dark land for example. Remeber you you can lighten underexposed areas but you can never darken fully blown whites.

What you wont be able to do is obviously take advantage of the fact that the filter allows you to use longer exposure times to capture movement whilst prevent the sky from being blown.

CS4 has a gradient filter in camera raw, and I suspect elements 7 and 8 may have it too (works pretty much the same as lightrooms one) failing that photoshop proper has a gradient tool in all versions, but that obviously wont work on the raw file.
The other way to do it would be to open your raw image, make ajustments for the foreground (ignoring the sky) make a second version this time ajusting for the sky, layer the two together and blend them with layer maskes so you get the best of both versions.

The other way to do it would be to open your raw image, make ajustments for the foreground (ignoring the sky) make a second version this time ajusting for the sky, layer the two together and blend them with layer maskes so you get the best of both versions.

I like that idea. I might have a play with that, thanks

Errr.. can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that ? :shrug:

either shoot in raw and use the gradient filter or learn a bit about layer masks and put a selective gradient mask on

I can't see the point in this. A proper graduated filter is used when the brightness range (e.g. foreground and sky) exceeds that recordable by the film or sensor.

There's no point trying to re-gain detail in an area which has been blown out as there will be no detail there to recover.

Steve.

I have a problem, because Nikon made the 14-24mm 2.8, such a big lump of glass, it's next to impossible to put any filters on it. However I need to be able to replicate the effect of having an ND graduated filter on the lens, as I don't like blown out skies in my landscapes.

I often like to shoot landscapes with moving animals in them. I know very little about what PS can do, but can I replicate the ND graduated effect with one RAW exposure, or do I need several differing exposures?

Just a thought - would a 130mm square filter stuck on with blue tack do the job?

I assume the problem is that filters attached conventionally cause vignetting.

The front element is convex and there's a socking great big fixed lens hood as well to contend with.

I've since found that Cokin Pro X filters might work with their adaptor, waiting for local dealer to get them in to try.

But yes, in principle Blu Tak might do the job, and a lot cheaper. (y)

Back