Grand Canyon South Rim or West Rim?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I am holidaying in Vegas later this year and will take in a tour of the Grand Canyon. For the best photos should I take a tour to the South rim or West rim?

I am holidaying in Vegas later this year and will take in a tour of the Grand Canyon. For the best photos should I take a tour to the South rim or West rim?

Never been there but a friend of mine spends a bit of time in the region most years for photography, I would say that you need to consider the time of day that your going to be going to get the most out of it, from the position of the sun (y)

I'm more than a little jealous

Matt
MWHCVT

Guess the West rim would be about 1030 to 1100, South rim maybe 1230 to 1300 hrs.

Depends what you mean by " a tour " from Vegas. It's still quite a trek there and back before you even start thinking about the Canyon itself. Being there for the supposedly best times of day [sunrise/early morning and sunset/evening] will confront you with difficulties. But there's no reason not to go just because you'll end up there during the middle part of the day. You'll still get great and rewarding pictures.

I've never done the west end but as it's nearer it could be your best practical choice for a long day out. The south side has the most view points and is suitable for both sunrise and sunset lighting. A very long day though, taking in to account the drive and visiting all the view points. The north side has one road access which splits in to two and had comparatively fewer viewpoints. In fact, taking the main north road direct to the primary view point gives you just one location with a reasonable view. But that's all.

If by a "tour" you're talking about a tourist coach then obviously you'll get what you're given. I think there are coaches to the glass walkway thing at the west end but be prepared for disappointment. They don't let you take cameras on to it and for pictures direct you towards the shop to buy some. A friend who went told me it was a ripoff.

If you can stretch to it, then you could consider a flight [heli or plane]. I've flown with Scenic a few times [North Las Vegas airport]. Big windows on their planes and if it's a possibility then look here for tips on photography from an aeroplane. The first flight of the day - 0700 ish - is usually the smoothest and least bumpiest.

I doone both last year whilst visiting Vegas.
I drove to both as we had a car but like said it is a long drive to do the south rim and even further to do the west rim
Both are national parks now and you have to pay to get into both, quite alot of money too, like said the skywalk is a rip off, you are not allowed to take ANYTHING out onto it, appaerntly the story goes people took stuff out onto it and tried to smash the glass that they where standing on. to be fair though not 50 yards from it you can walk right to the edge and look down the 4000 foot drop.
The west rim you can drive all along it and keep stopping off along the way, very popular and well worth it, the day we went theey had thunder storms so not so good picture wise but still ver spectacular.

Well worth a visit.

spike

Booked myself on a bus tour (13.5 hours) to the south rim as I believe this has the most spectacular views.

Back