Granddaughter's Cake Smash

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All not posted any photos for a long time. I really want to get shooting again but would like to try portraits now we have a granddaughter. I've bought a little light setup as my son wanted some photo's taken doing a cake smash. Please give honest feedback good or back with any tips on how I can improve. Thanks in advance and thank you for taking the time to look over them.

DSC_0684.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

DSC_0766.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

DSC_0787.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

DSC_0804.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

DSC_0646.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

DSC_0563.jpg by kevstarr1, on Flickr

A real cutie all round.
I can see No4 making a surprise appearance at an 18th Birthday Party...

It looks like she had fun!

The main area that stick out to me for improvement next time is the background. I am assuming you haven't lit the background separately which is why is hasn't blown out and in some images it has wrinkled up causing shadows which probably still would have shown up in the final image if it had been lit separately.

For toddlers and young children I tend to avoid canvas backgrounds and favour something more rigid like a wooden floor or even just a paper roll, something less likely to get screwed up by their constant wriggling. You can then also make it part of the set rather than trying to achieve the overexposed white thing which imo would bring a bit more interest and consistency to the set.

I love that third shot.

It looks like she had fun!

The main area that stick out to me for improvement next time is the background. I am assuming you haven't lit the background separately which is why is hasn't blown out and in some images it has wrinkled up causing shadows which probably still would have shown up in the final image if it had been lit separately.

For toddlers and young children I tend to avoid canvas backgrounds and favour something more rigid like a wooden floor or even just a paper roll, something less likely to get screwed up by their constant wriggling. You can then also make it part of the set rather than trying to achieve the overexposed white thing which imo would bring a bit more interest and consistency to the set.

Thanks for your thoughts. Your correct I set the lights both at each side of the camera I’ll try one to the rear on the backdrop

Back