Graphic tablets

Edit My Images
No
Are they any good?

Much better than the simple mouse for editing with photoshop?

Anyone use one?...can't live without one?

Any recommendations?...advice?

Shall I ask anymore questions in this thread?

I've got a large Wacom one I've had for some years and I rarely use it at all.

Opinions will be divided on this between people who think they're the best thing since sliced bread... and me. ;)

Their strength is in drawing, painting, type actions I suppose, so graphic designer types will really benefit from more of a freehand style. The best thing about a mouse is that it gives you a very stable platform compared to a pen and it's much easier to click around complicated shapes doing freehand masks. I also find it a more stable platform for cloning and lots of other techniques.

I suppose I've had a lot of practice with the mouse though, so I can see some people might find them an advantage.

I have the Wacom Tablet A5 size. Love it! CT is correct in saying that you either love it or hate it.

My Brother sent mine over from the US about 18 months ago. Before it arrived, he sent me an e-mail with strict instructions. He said on its arrival, load the software etc and remove your mouse and put it away in a box and out of arms reach. You will curse and fluff around for a day or two and then Bingo you are hooked. He was dead right. If I had left the mouse lying around, then I would have given up and reverted back to it. It is brilliant for precise PS work as you can alter the pressure of the pen.

CT if you wanna sell yours - I'll buy it!

I paid a lot of dosh for it when they were still expensive Gilly. I'm not planning on selling it - I keep promising to get back to some drawing and painting - when it probably will come in handy. :)

I've got a little Wacom one. Best thing I ever bought. Photoshop feels a lot more intuitive with it, and you can't beat a pen for drawing masks and selections.

I would go so far as to say I could probably get away with out a mouse at all, although I do fall into using it from habbt.

They are good for playing Isketch with :LOL:

http://www.isketch.net/

I had one for a short time, but it broke and I never replaced it. I will do at some point as I miss it.

I had one but couldn't get on with it at all, the pen felt too vague to be useful. Went back to using the mouse.

I have an A5 Wacom and love it, I find it's much better for dodging and burning and masking than a mouse. It's also good to give to the kids and let play with the Liquify filter on photoshop. Lots of fun for them.

Same as Pete. Excellent for masks and so on, but I'm in CT's camp when it comes to selections - you cant beat a steady mouse for that.

Pretty much use my Wacom for all PS work. Preasure sensitivity is a must have on a tablet, so get one with this.

... also make sure you are holding the pen the right way up, otherwise it works as an eraser... :bang:

Thanks all :)

Some do...some don't....some will....some won't (sorry got carried away)

It's a bit expensive an item to try and not like hmmmmm :thinking:

I have tried to use one but found that I preferred the good old mouse so the tablet is stuck in my wardrobe. Its been used about twice just cant get on with it.

Must also agree with CT here!

Got mine for free (BUNDLED WITH CS2) about when CS2 launched, gave it to a bud as I think it is only really artists (or someone who can draw well at least) who will get the best out of it.

Twas the Wacom A5 with all the bits and bobs - I thought the mouse was quite bulky and uncomfortable to use and also not sure but think you can only use it on the tablet:)shrug: :thinking: )

Bottom line: Gave it a miss!

Must also agree with CT here!

Got mine for free (BUNDLED WITH CS2) about when CS2 launched, gave it to a bud as I think it is only really artists (or someone who can draw well at least) who will get the best out of it.

Twas the Wacom A5 with all the bits and bobs - I thought the mouse was quite bulky and uncomfortable to use and also not sure but think you can only use it on the tablet:)shrug: :thinking: )

Bottom line: Gave it a miss!

You sure you don't have an opinion to share AR, you post-virgin, you ;) :LOL:

I use my Wacom tablet for everything except surfing the tinterweb & definitely couldn't live without it. I needed one for my illustration work & bought one of the large Wacom ones too. Pressure sensitivity & precision control & tilting count a lot for me though wheras for different applications they may not be as important.
Using a mouse is like trying to draw with a bar of soap or a hockey puck IMHO :LOL:
I'd say that my tablet is my single most used computer item & I'd definitely recommend one (y)

You sure you don't have an opinion to share AR, you post-virgin, you ;) :LOL:

Well, I was quite nervous...my first time you know!

Much like cleaning your sensor the first time:naughty: :D

Oh boy, hope Janice doesn't see this...:exit:

Much like cleaning your sensor the first time:naughty: :D

True enough - but now, like most men, i dont worry about battering the sides and just dive right in ;)

I have the WacomClasic A6, and that is all i use now.
Took some getting used to but now think it is the bees Knees.
Magic bit of kit

i have one and dont use it. graphics tablet that is!! :naughty: ;) :D

Sie, they take a bit of getting used to but the speed, versatility and precision you get from a tablet whilst working in Photoshop beats a mouse any day (and you know how much work I do in Photoshop!).

Some tablets come with a separate mouse, some don't, and some can be set up in a way so you can continue to use your standard mouse and also have the tablet plugged in at the same time so you can jump back to 'normal mode' whenever you like (I had this 3rd type of set-up during my time at E&S/SS).

I'd recommend one if your gonna be using PS the more photography you do ;)

Sie, they take a bit of getting used to but the speed, versatility and precision you get from a tablet whilst working in Photoshop beats a mouse any day (and you know how much work I do in Photoshop!).

Some tablets come with a separate mouse, some don't, and some can be set up in a way so you can continue to use your standard mouse and also have the tablet plugged in at the same time so you can jump back to 'normal mode' whenever you like (I had this 3rd type of set-up during my time at E&S/SS).

I'd recommend one if your gonna be using PS the more photography you do ;)

Allo stranger!...Your still alive then ;)

It worries me that I see so many people saying theres is stuck up in the loft e.t.c but then again others are saying they are to die for. Which would I be? They arn't cheap are they?

Do you use one at home dude?

The one I used to use at the Star is now at home. Its not fancy or particularly big (A5 I think) but it allows both normal mouse and pen to run at same time.

Its not currently plugged in at the min, but thats just cos of family circumstances etc :cautious:

Wacom are the best - but like you say, they aint cheap! Its hard to say whether you'd get on with it or not to be honest as you've never had a go on one.

Might be worth you popping down to Editorial Art dept (tell 'em I sent you!) and ask to have a raz on one of theirs - John H. or Steve D. should have one hooked up. :)

Might be worth you popping down to Editorial Art dept (tell 'em I sent you!) and ask to have a raz on one of theirs - John H. or Steve D. should have one hooked up. :)

Oh yeah I never thought of that but then again I can't remember seeing them ever using one.

I can use the old "Look over there" distraction trick then naff off with it! :D

Like others here I have a little one that I rarely use.....What am I saying! It is HUGE! I use it regularly and to constant adulation as well. It is a robust beast and my wife loves it when I slap it on the desk and use tender fill strokes, etc, etc........

Now that's Janice fed for a little while :D

Like others here I have a little one that I rarely use.....What am I saying! It is HUGE! I use it regularly and to constant adulation as well. It is a robust beast and my wife loves it when I slap it on the desk and use tender fill strokes, etc, etc........

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Good god! My mind won't need feeding for a LONG, LONG while after that!! ;) :naughty: :D

you wish :D

Its not the feeding of Janice's mind we need to be concerned about ;) :naughty:

Back