Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
My current PC spec is:
i5 2400 processor (sandybridge)
8gb DDR3 RAM
SSD hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 3870 graphics card

My graphics card keeps making my PC crash so I want to replace it.
I don't use my PC for gaming, anf Photoshop CS6 is the most graphical intensive program that I use.

Does anyone have any recommendations on graphics cards for CS6? I not want to spend too much (definitely less than £100).

Thanks,
Mike

Yeah the above is a good shout. Or I'd look for a second hand 760ti. That was my old one and it ran fine. Will be lots of used examples out there as things have moved on a fair bit for gaming purposes, sold mine for £45 I think....

Unless you're doing weird stuff for as photographer, GPU specs don't mater. Unless you're using ATI in which case ditch the ATI card and look at Nvidia (you would not believe the issues I've had with AMD cards over the years that I haven't had with Nvidia...).

Just make sure you have the correct power connectors for your chosen card.

I have sitting in a draw Nvidia card that was the dogs danglies when I bought it new a few years ago and it cost me £500 but now it sits redundant as my new PC which is fitted with a much lesser performing ATI but I can't use it because the new one only has a six pin power lead and the Nvidia needs a 6 and an 8 pin lead.

So it just sits in a draw doing nothing and it's not worth selling as they are fetching about £25 on the BayofEvil and knowing how much I paid for it I just can't see it go for next to nothing.

Open your case and check what power connectors you have first.

Paul

Just make sure you have the correct power connectors for your chosen card.

I have sitting in a draw Nvidia card that was the dogs danglies when I bought it new a few years ago and it cost me £500 but now it sits redundant as my new PC which is fitted with a much lesser performing ATI but I can't use it because the new one only has a six pin power lead and the Nvidia needs a 6 and an 8 pin lead.

So it just sits in a draw doing nothing and it's not worth selling as they are fetching about £25 on the BayofEvil and knowing how much I paid for it I just can't see it go for next to nothing.

Open your case and check what power connectors you have first.

Paul

You can buy converters to change the socket. You should be able to use it as long as your PSU is rated high enough

PS part way down this page you'll find what is and isn't accelerated: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

If you use any of the image warping or 3D features in the "GPU-enhanced features added in Photoshop CS6" a lot you may get a performance boost there. If you do them only occasionally, your i5 should be plenty fast enough. The stuff mentioned in the previous releases won't really benefit from a faster card.

used to have HD3870 years ago just can't remember if i was using CS6 at that time but all were working fine, later been using gtx460 with CS6 and was perfect. later upgraded to gtx560 and it does job fine. all depends what you will be doing with Ps as if it will use GPU power at all.

Back