Graphics Tablets

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Are A6 Graphics tablets big enough to get started with? I've only got a 14" monitor for it to go with for now anyway.

Cheers,
Kev

Are A6 Graphics tablets big enough to get started with? I've only got a 14" monitor for it to go with for now anyway.

Cheers,
Kev

Plenty big enough. The way tablets work is they map the tablet working area to your screen so all the movements are proportional anyway. :)

A6 is a nice size to get started on, It will let you decide if you like using the pen or not, and will not take over the desk.

I use a A5 wide Wacom and it is set up to cover 2 monitors, I dont use the mouse at all on that machine just the tablet and pen,

Ive been looking to get an A4 Intuos3 Wacom, i havent really considered the A5 model as I use a 24" screen and would think that mapping a 1900x1200 screen to an A5 tablet would make even small movements exagerated onscreen.

I have never used a graphics tablet and im not entirely sure whether I would make use of it...

Will an A5 unit have a large enough area to be useful? as the A5 is much cheaper than the A4 version, ive just spotted the new A5 Wide unit which has the 16:10 ratio which matches my monitor.

I use the Wacon A5 Wide on the 30" + 23" apple cinema displays and its very nice, Set and used on the 30" (@ 2560x1600) the hand movement is just right, I found it was very hard to get used to, but now its just natural.

I would definatly try one for a few days if you can before buying one as they are not cheap.

Both my wife and I use Wacom Intuos 3 A6 tablets on a 19" TFT monitor and a 17" Laptop and find them ideal. As already stated the tablet maps itself to the screen size and in our opinion makes things much easier, especially fine detail work.

We chose the A6 models just before we found a magazine test of several makes which also recommended the A6 Intuos as they felt that for 17-19" screens there was too much extra arm movement in the larger A5 models. They also praised how well the Intuos range is integrated with Photoshop products.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if the ordinary A6 Intuos 3model is still manufactured so you would have to go for either the A6 wide (just has a matching set of buttons on both sides of the work surface) or the A5.

I borrowed a Trust A5 tablet before going for the Intuos 3 but found it far less intuitive and less intergrated than I would like.

Just my 0.02p :)

I use an A5 Wacom model for PS2 it is indispencible (?sp?) I can't live without it.
[well... if it was that or my 70-200....]

Anyway I'd say get a GOOD tablet not a poxy one as it pays back in spades. My mum bought a cheapie one for £20 and never uses it. I tried it and know why. It's c**P

Personally I would have WACOM or nothing

I have an old Wacom Graphire that I re-installed today for some PS work - it is A6 and works fine with my 21" trinitron running high res. Movements may seem exaggerated byt you get used to it real quick and end up taking a good deal of care when working!
I am looking to get an A5 or A4 model though as I am starting to use it more again. I'd consider A6 or less frequent use myself

Hmm ... reading all these hints and tips about gear is certainly not good for the bank balance ... now I think I want one of these ... or rather I believe I actually do need one ... :D

Thanx guys ... not ... ;)

Note to self ... must stop reading gear threads like this ... or file for bankruptcy already ... :cautious:

:p

I use my A6 Wacom Graphire4 on a 21" monitor and love it. It's a fantastic accessory. Never used a mouse at home in months!

Back