Grassington Dickensian Festival (10 pics)

Jimmy_Lemon

TPer Emeritus
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Continuing the christmassy market theme.

There is a very good market/festival in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales called Grassington.

There is a fairly extensive market and all the stall holders are in fancy dress (even the people on the burger vans!). Its a great place for taking some shots. But its pretty much a high iso point and hope affair. It is way too busy to use a tripod so everything has to be hand held. There is torch (propper fire torches) lit procession around the village led by Mary on a donkey, which calls at all the inns asking if there is room etc....

The website doesnt tell you much else - http://www.grassington.net/ - but be prepared to spend a bit of money. Its free to get in, but the car park in the village is shut so all cars have to park in a near by quarry and get the shuttle bus. Think it was a couple of pounds last year for the parking with the bus thrown in. Be warned there is a big que for the bus back at the end of the day.

Dickensian Festivities:
For the three Saturdays before Christmas, Grassington is transported back to the time of Dickens. See the village square and streets transformed into a traditional market with people dressed in period costume.

Enjoy the musicians, dancers, street entertainers and exhibitions of traditional country crafts. Experience the pleasure of doing your own Christmas shopping in an atmosphere unlike any other!

2006 Dates: Saturday 2, 9, 16 December.

A few photos: (fairly poor, I didnt go planning to take photos so didnt prepare at all)
Torches on sale
Grassinton-1.jpg

Very busy!
Grassinton-7.jpg

Brass band (the ones in red almost visable in the shot)
Grassinton-2.jpg

All dressed up
Grassinton-9.jpg

Window Displays
Grassinton-8.jpg

Backstreets
Grassinton-4.jpg

Festival burger van
Grassinton-3.jpg

Some dude
Grassinton-6.jpg

The torch light procession
Grassinton-10.jpg

Some good people shots
Grassinton-5.jpg

Some may not be technically perfect but you've caught the mood well :)

Got to ask... what is in those tubs with ladle handles sticking out on the burger van shot? Brown sauce by the bucketful? :)

Cheers Robert - was just to show whats there really. Not my best shots by a LONG shot :p but it is worth the trip if anyone is in the area.

Back