Great skua (bonxie)

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Another from my Shetland trip in June and this time of a definitive Shetland resident, the great skua - also known as a bonxie.

EOS-1D MkIV, EF500 f/4L IS, tripod, Acratech long lens head

Thanks for looking

Paul

Love the smoothness of the background. Composition is a bit off for me: wing is too near the top of the frame, too much space also on the left hand side/corner, but seeing as I've never seen nor photographed one, I shouldn't really judge :D

Thanks for the feedback Sarah. Its interesting as I deliberately framed it this way as I thought it suited the shape of the bird and its wings

Ha! I have to disagree with Sarah. I like the composition and everything else about this shot.

Great shot of a great subject....I sort of see where Sarah makes her point; maybe if the bird was looking slightly up and towards the camera I wonder if she'd think it would be better?

Any non-centred bird photos I take (or crop that way) thend to leave the empty space in line with the bird's vision, if you see what I mean

fantastic shot.

Saw a few at the weekend passing south out at sea, would have loved to grab a photo like this.(y)

Its a cracking shot Paul, good detail and the BG works so well with it.
To a degree I can see what Sarah is saying, but only partly. The gap at the top works fine for me, but somehow there seems to be a small imbalance. If the left hand side were cropped slightly to give a similar space between the edge and the birds wing as there is at the top, I feel that would improve the composition. Its a small point though because overall its a very good picture and thanks for sharing it (y)

Thanks guys. Trev - I can see the point being made but when I've tried other options none appeal to me as much. I showed it to a friend last night though and he made the point that I remembering what was there, which may give me a different interpretation.

I tend to try to work to standard aspect ratios and so losing some off the left would lose some off the bottom as well, which made the bird look a bit "cramped" to my eye

Thanks guys. Trev - I can see the point being made but when I've tried other options none appeal to me as much. I showed it to a friend last night though and he made the point that I remembering what was there, which may give me a different interpretation.

I tend to try to work to standard aspect ratios and so losing some off the left would lose some off the bottom as well, which made the bird look a bit "cramped" to my eye

I think your quite right Paul, whats the picture for if its not to please you and give you memories of the scene. There's no point in producing the perfect technical picture if it doesnt tell the story that you want.
I am alway grateful for constructive criticism, its how I learn, but it does show that we all see things differently. Either way, Its still a lovely shot (y)

I think framing the badger in the bottom rh corner dont work either Paul :nuts: Lovely shot of the Skua though, is the alternative name for it legit or something that somebody just made up? :shrug:

Back