Great Spotted Woodpecker?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to bird photography.

This was taken at Paxton Nature Reserve early this week.

Some C&C would be useful for the future - as I quite enjoyed myself, just not quick enough :LOL:

Paxton015.jpg

Paxton018.jpg

Nice shots Mark.

Falure is a privilege reserved only for those who try!

... and its a male too. The red at the back of the neck is only on the male :)

Linda

Mark, a good first effort.. like the splayed wing!

Difficult to capture these without a hide/long lens and lots of patience, so you did well to get it. :)

We have them come regularly to our garden, but am lucky as we're surrounded by woodland, their natural habitat.

In terms of advice, alot depends on what lens you're currently using.

I'd open it up to it's widest aperture, to allow a fast shutter speed (essential with these birds) and perhaps up your ISO to allow this faster shutter speed - ie. 400-800 iso. Shutter speed to mirror that of the focal length of the lens (if hand holding) - ie. 300mm focal length = 1/300th sec shutter speed.

You've got the woody side on, showing his beauty. It'll be tricky getting any nearer than you've got, without a hide, as they are very wary. If you're patient, you can prepare camera settings when you hear a woody nearby (they sound to me like the sound of a gym plimsole squeaking on a shiny floor! :) )

Look forward to seeing some more shots of them. I love Woodies! :)

Hope this helps

Dom

You know where to go for more in the future now mate ;)

Remember my first Woody, not the best but all the same, was my first and quite pleasing!

Keep going back for better, will give you plenty of fun.

Dan

Back