Great Spotted Woodpecker

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
Well looks like some of us have been going to the same place:),but boy have I struggled with the light,the sun being so bright played havoc with my pics,managed a few but not that happy with them especially the ones around the nest where the bird was in shade and then it was bright else where,then I went to the other part of the wood where it went to the other extreme and was really bright,anyone any more tips of shooting in these conditions,thought it may help some folk if we talk about it.

greatspottedwoodpecker5.jpg

greatspottedwoodpecker9.jpg

Really like the second shot Kaz, i like the dark background with the tree nice and light :clap::clap:

cheers Neil quite like the second one got a few like that but the first was a challenge,not happy with it but would like more advice on shooting in these conditions but maybe I may be fighting a losing battle with light like that anyway

Went up there late afternoon last Friday Karen, the light was very contrasty indeed. It was the quietest I have seen it so didnt take a lot, what I did was in harsh light so.....:shrug:

You did well to get these two shots, you can see the conditions, was this late in the day as well?

GSW's are always good to see though (y)

Went up there late afternoon last Friday Karen, the light was very contrasty indeed. It was the quietest I have seen it so didnt take a lot, what I did was in harsh light so.....:shrug:

You did well to get these two shots, you can see the conditions, was this late in the day as well?

GSW's are always good to see though (y)

It was late in the day Trev sun was beautiful behind on the second but was very bright

love the second one also, just looked through your bird pics on your website... very very nice!! :D:D

cheers Neil quite like the second one got a few like that but the first was a challenge,not happy with it but would like more advice on shooting in these conditions but maybe I may be fighting a losing battle with light like that anyway

The 1st is backlit Kaz ... options:-

Get Paul to shimmy up the tree with a big white reflector to bounce light onto the bird. I seriously considered using a bounce card on the side of a hide to push some light back at a bird in shadow, in theory it would work ... but it depends how good Paul is at climbing trees ;)

Use a flashgun This would be the answer if you were photographing people, you would need a hood attachment to direct all the light at the subject, however you may be frowned upon for doing so by the birdwatchers (personally I would not use a flash on birds, but it is an option)

Get the other side of the subject. sometimes I think that this is the most sensible option, but I know that it is not always possible

Photograph something else Which is what I do now, if the light is not right I move on, I can get that shot at another time when the light suits me. You know I want a decent Male Bully shot, there has been one posing to the right of the far hide, trouble is it is backlit and in deep shadow. So I left it until I can get one with the light how I want it.

With the harsh lighting Kaz:-

Dial in - 0.7EV to -1.0EV (trial and error) and under expose the shots, then bring up the bits you want in PP, it is amazing what will blow out, that would not normally, when the sun is so bright.

The other option I am considering trying is a drop in polarising filter, but at around £200 not cheap.

cheers Martyn I know it was a losing battle on number 1,the other side seemed worse,just wanted a shot at the nest really,the second had to dial under more than -1 so that was all I could really do on that one,light was a challenge the weekend in the woods.Paul will do anything for me but climbing the tree I think not,lol.I dont use flash either would rather not have the shot at all.

I really like the second one. The darkness of the BG and the lightness of the tree really make the colours on the bird stand out (y)

The first is a great shot except for the light issues already mentioned.

#2 is cracking, i only know one place to go for GSW and it's 30miles away, a shallow dof green leaf spoiled my shot. i suppose perserverance pays off.

Nice shots, but I dont think there is anything you can do with harsh light. Only answer I've found is to get up really early or go in the evening.

Seems theres some of the nice shot brigade on here as well....even though these were just put on to get a helpful discussion going.

is there ever an ideal light ?

Keith (y)

Seems theres some of the nice shot brigade on here as well....even though these were just put on to get a helpful discussion going.

is there ever an ideal light ?

Keith (y)

I think they are nice shots? and yes, there is ideal light, usually at the beginning and the end of the day. Sorry if you dont see this as helpful:shrug:

I wonder if this is on Cannock chase, the tree looks familiar, if it is I have found another in an old oak around there, personally I like both shots for different reasons, the first shows the beautiful bark on the birch as well as the colours on the woodpecker, the second the dark background, not sure if the first is a female can't quite see the red flash on the neck I don't think the female has that but I could be wrong hope someone corrects me if I am.

I wonder if this is on Cannock chase, the tree looks familiar, if it is I have found another in an old oak around there, personally I like both shots for different reasons, the first shows the beautiful bark on the birch as well as the colours on the woodpecker, the second the dark background, not sure if the first is a female can't quite see the red flash on the neck I don't think the female has that but I could be wrong hope someone corrects me if I am.

Hi there it was at cannock and there is two.you are right about the female not having the red patch,do you go to cannock much might have might you there before go a lot in the winter

Hi there it was at cannock and there is two.you are right about the female not having the red patch,do you go to cannock much might have might you there before go a lot in the winter

Yes Karen I'm up there quite often, not as often as i would like, if i see you i will introduce myself,my name is William my friends call me bill.

Back