Great Spotted Woodpecker

A good image, but I feel that the crop is too tight.

John

Its a good portrait shot with nice detail on the head and eye. If your going to crop this close, you really could do with a deeper depth of field to keep the detail in the side feathers and claws. Still a pleasing picture (y)

Its a good portrait shot with nice detail on the head and eye. If your going to crop this close, you really could do with a deeper depth of field to keep the detail in the side feathers and claws. Still a pleasing picture (y)

This was actual shot in landscape but I thought it looked better as a portrait as otherwise there would have been a lot of dead space either side. Again light was poor and was not really able to use a larger aperture to improve DOP. Also the GSW was only 5M away which obviously minimises DOP.

This second image was taken today same issue with light. I managed to rotate the camera in to the portrait position with out disturbing him so not much of a crop on this one.

This was actual shot in landscape but I thought it looked better as a portrait as otherwise there would have been a lot of dead space either side. Again light was poor and was not really able to use a larger aperture to improve DOP. Also the GSW was only 5M away which obviously minimises DOP.

This second image was taken today same issue with light. I managed to rotate the camera in to the portrait position with out disturbing him so not much of a crop on this one.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=102981
Thanks Craig, we never seem to get the perfect conditions do we, so a lot of compromising is needed, but you still did good. The second posting is the better of the two by far imo, thanks for sharing (y)

well i think its awesome, both shots are, the detail in the eye and head is perfect!!

Both look good to me, pin sharp on the head..must have been pretty close!

Thanks Craig, we never seem to get the perfect conditions do we, so a lot of compromising is needed, but you still did good. The second posting is the better of the two by far imo, thanks for sharing (y)

I spent over 10 hours in the hide over Christmas and not even a sniff. So quiet please but still room for improvement. This is what makes photographing birds so interesting and challenging.

I had the Sparrowhawk land on top of one of the feeders today, but he was less than 3M away so no shot. I've only being trying to catch him for two years!!

Back