Great Spotted Woodpecker

Nice set Mick (y) Personally I'd have left the 2nd out, details good but its a little lost against the tree :)

3rd would be the pick for me, typical pose, good light and for me, one of the few birds that suite a portrait crop (y)

Lovely renditions there Mick I can see your still loving the 500 :)

Nice set Mick (y) Personally I'd have left the 2nd out, details good but its a little lost against the tree :)

3rd would be the pick for me, typical pose, good light and for me, one of the few birds that suite a portrait crop (y)

Cheers Phil and yes I agree it is the weakest of the set!

Lovely renditions there Mick I can see your still loving the 500 :)

Cheers Adam yes it doesn't get any easier to lug about but the results are usually worth the effort :)

good captures Mick, special birds Woodpeckers

for me, ultimate "nit picking" and compared with much of your usual excellent stuff these images seem to lack that extra level of dynamic sharpness that you usually produce ........ could it be the light, did you take them at f4, or maybe is the light a little flat, colours? ....... I cannot put my finger on it, maybe they are just more natural images........... but anyway they are excellent images of this juvenile and my comment is in no way a criticism ........ .. just looking for that extra few percent at this high level

good captures Mick, special birds Woodpeckers

for me, ultimate "nit picking" and compared with much of your usual excellent stuff these images seem to lack that extra level of dynamic sharpness that you usually produce ........ could it be the light, did you take them at f4, or maybe is the light a little flat, colours? ....... I cannot put my finger on it, maybe they are just more natural images........... but anyway they are excellent images of this juvenile and my comment is in no way a criticism ........ .. just looking for that extra few percent at this high level

Always welcome comments Bill and they certainly not nit picking!

I very rarely shoot at F4 because of the dof or lack thereof so all these were at F7.1

I agree they don't pop like I would have liked, the light was dappled on number 4 thus the shadow on the GSW, on the others the sun was on the right thus putting half the bird in semi shadow perhaps that has something to do with it? I definitely agree I have had much better shots in the past from the same location?

this was from another occasion

Great Spotted Woodpecker by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

1st and last for me due to the backgrounds, #3 is good but a bit tight in the frame for me I know some like it that way ... only sharpness issue that struck me was around the eye/face in #1 but a very good set :)

Great set, lovely looking bird (y)

Back