S Africa

17% crop - D750 + 300mm f4 PF + 1,4TC - f5.6 - 1/640th - ISO 450

still not sharpe on here unless you really sharpen the image

sharpened to normal + ...... looks OK in LR

Sunbird_SDF.jpg

Sharpened to normal + then exported at high for screen
Sunbird_SDF_4.jpg

Last edited:
Only viewing on my phone and looks really good and sharp. Did you try what I said in the other thread?

Only viewing on my phone and looks really good and sharp. Did you try what I said in the other thread?

Thanks Chris

I could not quite understand it Chris, the thing about config ........ I use a Mac ........ but I looked at the image in Chrome and it was better ...... the images on here seem to lack "black" compared with LR which reduces their Clarity

what do you think to the sharpness of my Redstart image as comments feel that it is soft, (and f4 is as sharpe as anything on the 600mm) - I thought that it was fine as they do have soft not "crunchy" feathers

The Sunbird above is much affected by light upon the bird

The shots that I have had printed do look much less sharpe than on screen, but they were small prints from the local supermarket to check what they may look like.. but when I go back to SA I know a good printer there who will print while you watch, so I will discuss "printing" with him

Last edited:
Sorry I'm on my phone travelling back from Cornwall to London (boo hoo) so I can't tell properly. I never trust my phone when commenting on sharpness or detail. I can't argue with you about the 600 at f4 as I've never tried one, but I'm sure it's as sharp if not sharper than my 500 at f4 so I dont think that would be the issue! I'd be interested in seeing how someone like the guy who posted the shrike the other day processes (and the original actually) as that came from a tamron 150-600 from memory and was as pin sharp as I've ever seen!

Regarding printing I'm not an expert so can't say but yeah a supermarket print is never going to give good results.

The config thing won't work on a Mac possibly so I can't help there sorry.

Can't believe nobody else commented...it's a really nice pic of a beautiful bird!

Wow, really nice. That lens sure can produce some stunning results. Of course, looks like it's in capable hands here which is required!

Back