Greater Spotted Woodpecker

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Had lots of visits during a 5 hour session in the hide today. First time i have ever had the chance to get some shots of one:D Its probably just me but i dont think i have got it right, so would appreciate some C&C so i can get it right next time.:)

Thanks for looking - Brian

Tiny bit dark, Brian.
Lighten it up if you can and it will be fine.

Thanks Dougie, afraid its one of those the more i look at it the more i dont like it:), i think this is a tad better:

Thanks Dougie, afraid its one of those the more i look at it the more i dont like it:), i think this is a tad better:

It could be, but I think the stark white background is not the best. You could change that if you felt inclined.(y)

I would agree with Dougie on his comments about the brightening up of #1 and the sky in #2 Brian. Looking at the way the light is cast in that first shot not much is hitting the bird anyway, so I would just consider a small adjustment. I would be happy with them anyway, well done on getting them (y)

Thanks Rich. Just cant seem to get the processing right, reckon as you say the light is not helping. Gone from worrying about blowing the whites on the bird to now find the whites (to me) just dont look white enough, so when i try to improve the latter i get white background:bang: I took loads as it was very obliging, so plenty to play with!

Something about the BOKEH Brian :D

Love the Avatar piccy though.(y)

Something about the BOKEH Brian :D

Love the Avatar piccy though.(y)

As you know the area of the hides is in shade, so light is always going to be behind subject, the first one has the natural "bokeh" :D Just cant lighten the bird without background whitening up:bang:. Avatar, yep my Fernface:D

What focus points did you have selected for that first shot Brian?

What focus points did you have selected for that first shot Brian?

All of em Rich:D, from memory 51 points. Since posting i have done some work (learnt a bit of PS too), on a couple more shots i have and got a result i am pretty happy with. The light in the area is pretty diabolical to be honest, i know just excuses:D Just checked and focus point is spot on the eye, unusual for me!!

Last edited:
Back