Greatest bird photography fail

Edit My Images
Yes
This evening I went out hoping to photograph Barn Owls at a spot I’ve seen them before, the last time I went no owls appeared, but I did get to photograph a fox and a Chinese Water Deer. Turn up tonight, sat at the side of the car for all of about ten minutes, when sure enough Barn Owl appears flying left to right across a field around 150m away, watched it drop on prey. Track it down to field, the it pops up and starts heading towards me. This is where it all starts to go wrong - I make the mistake of taking camera away from eye to confirm it really is heading my way. Eye back to camera and lose focus, then lose the bird totally, PANIC! Take camera away from eye again and locate bird, but it’s approaching quickly. Finally give up as bird heads directly AT me! Finally it turns an flies past me at a range of around 3m! I swear the sodd8ng thing was laughing at me. I could have photographed it with a 24-105mm, not the 500mm and 1.4x I’ve got on. The strangest thing is, as I watched it at such close range I suddenly didn’t care about missing the shot, just watching it was reward enough. I’ll be back again tomorrow evening and I’ll take my old 550D with a 100-400mm just in case.....

It isn't a photography fail Gordon,you have just realized that some images were never meant to be on the back of the camera. They are the special ones each of us has in our head,but are unable to share with anyone else.. They are special we don't need to ever see them yet they get printed indelibly in our minds.

Ha failure can be delt with in various ways mate,me I'd be giving myself a right kicking,:LOL:but at the same time first up you have that memory,which is pricless, After the kicking has stopped I tend to be more pragmatic about missing astounding chances

.Oh and second............................... a CWD I'd have that image any day of the week:D Can i see the CWD please Gordon,I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one here before.

All the luck with barnie,This happens to all of us, epic failure seems to go hand in hand with making images of wildlife,

take care

stu

Yes i think we have all had this ,to help i'm always ready to point the camera at say the ground to get the focus back close to the birds distance but this only helps if its still a little way off as it gets closer there is not enough time BUT next time may be better :)
Rob.

It isn't a photography fail Gordon,you have just realized that some images were never meant to be on the back of the camera. They are the special ones each of us has in our head,but are unable to share with anyone else.. They are special we don't need to ever see them yet they get printed indelibly in our minds.

Ha failure can be delt with in various ways mate,me I'd be giving myself a right kicking,:LOL:but at the same time first up you have that memory,which is pricless, After the kicking has stopped I tend to be more pragmatic about missing astounding chances

.Oh and second............................... a CWD I'd have that image any day of the week:D Can i see the CWD please Gordon,I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one here before.

All the luck with barnie,This happens to all of us, epic failure seems to go hand in hand with making images of wildlife,

take care

stu
I'm currently at work, but as soon as I can I'll get one up. They're nothing special as it was a bit away hiding in plant life!

The one species living wild in the UK i've never seen Gordon,hence my interest. Funny they had them at my local zoo as a child. I spent hours waiting in the hope of seeing them never did.

The one species living wild in the UK I've never seen Gordon,hence my interest. Funny they had them at my local zoo as a child. I spent hours waiting in the hope of seeing them never did.
I nearly missed it at first, I was facing the opposite direction as I expected a Barn Owl to come from them other way!

Back