Green, Red, Green

Name
Andrew Robertson
Edit My Images
Yes
Some more of my faves from last year.....

Scorpion fly - Panorpa communis (female)

2707109369_f8205307e8_o.jpg

Took me ages to track down one of those that would pose for the camera but this one was so busy stuffing it's face that it didn't care how close I got.

Next one was a spider eating another spider on my beer bottle recycling bin...
2978176728_bdfcbb6feb_o.jpg

Meta segmentata eating Zygiella x-notata I think.

Not sure what this is but it's green :LOL:
2977325907_42302189b7_o.jpg

Not too many bugs about at the moment but did find some springtails earlier so might aswell post a new one too.
3204110868_b54fba70f7_o.jpg

Vertagopus arboreus I think. That's a crop from a shot at 5:1 otherwise you wouldn't see much in a low res version...subject about 2mm long. All shot on a MP-E 65mm with (half a) ringflash in the first and twin flash in the others.

C&C welcome :)

Nice stuff there. All good clear shots(y)(y). Can't wait for spring time for the bugs to start appearing again.

Super series Andrew. Scorpion flies are quite stunning for a flies aren't they. (y)

Thanks guys, aye those scorpion flies are pretty cool. Need to find another one to work on my close ups of them...that one was letting me shoot it at 5x and I didn't even have to chase it about! :)

Thanks guys. There's still beasties out there if you go looking...leaf litter in the woods is a good place to find bugs year round :)

Cheers Dave :)

...a couple more of that scorpion fly ;)

2707962872_5bd724c181_o.jpg

2707970308_98ed8f5ddb_o.jpg

Hopefully this year I'll get a male against a similarly clean background but preferably without the bits of a dead hoverfly in it's mouth and the squiggly bit in the corner of the first shot I posted. I hope to do a better job of the close ups too....wasn't expecting to be able to get so close and had already got far better shots than I'd managed before so I think the excitement got to me. That was a good day and I got those shots after a wicked ride :D Clicky - that scorpion fly was at the bottom of the next hill over (Turnhouse Hill in the Pentlands).

Back