Grey bird of prey?

Merc

Loves Canon
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All.

I often have a Kestrel visit my garden but twice in the last week I have had a grey bird of prey take young birds from the trees/bushes in my garden. I live just outside Portsmouth in a built up area. The only 2 birds I can think it might be is a peregrine falcon or a montagu harrier???? Excuse any spelling mistakes but I haven't got my glasses and I'm using my phone. :)

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

Sparrowhawk is definitely the most likely suspect. They are becoming more common around gardens (I have seen more sparrowhawks around our garden the last three years than in the previous 30).

Good luck in getting a shot of it, Mark. The one(s) I see in the garden come in like a rocket and just as I identify them, they are gone.

Dave

Also, if it was a Goshawk you wouldn't mistake it. They are big birds almost Buzzard size.

Could be a Peregrine. They have plenty of grey and are now venturing into cities

Sounds like the wrong behaviour for peregrine. They prefer larger birds and do so by taking them mid-flight. Small birds in garden hedges is classic Sparrowhawk territory.

Back