Grey Imports...How to spot them?

Edit My Images
Yes
Is there anyway to tell if a cameras/lens is a grey import?
Any CE logos or other distinctive things to look for...apart from the obvious purchase ticket :)

I'm on the market for a used camera and I have enquired to a few dealers and they can't confirm if the camera I'm looking at is grey import or not.
The one I'm looking at it's a very expensive bit of kit so I'm not too confident in spending the money without knowing where it's coming from.

Any CE logos or other distinctive things to look for...apart from the obvious purchase ticket :)

I'm on the market for a used camera and I have enquired to a few dealers and they can't confirm if the camera I'm looking at is grey import or not.
The one I'm looking at it's a very expensive bit of kit so I'm not too confident in spending the money without knowing where it's coming from.

I assume that you are looking at used cameras, in which case why does it matter?
Any warranty will be with the seller and there is nothing else that will affect your use of the camera or its maintenance, servicing or repair.

I assume that you are looking at used cameras, in which case why does it matter?
Any warranty will be with the seller and there is nothing else that will affect your use of the camera or its maintenance, servicing or repair.

Well, I think it does matter, at least to me.

The camera is quite new and might be subject to recalls, in fact it is, and the manufacturer might refuse to honour the free repair.
Grey Imports many times do not qualify for Pro Support Service from manufacturers.
And I would not be ready to pay the same money for a used import than for a UK bought model, price difference is quite big.

Well, I think it does matter, at least to me.

The camera is quite new and might be subject to recalls, in fact it is, and the manufacturer might refuse to honour the free repair.
Grey Imports many times do not qualify for Pro Support Service from manufacturers.
And I would not be ready to pay the same money for a used import than for a UK bought model, price difference is quite big.

In which case, AFAIK, your only option is to buy a new UK camera or alternatively buy new with a 3-year warranty from a reputable grey dealer who will look after you for the entire term of the warranty ... plenty of experiences on the forum. :)

In which case, AFAIK, your only option is to buy a new UK camera or alternatively buy new with a 3-year warranty from a reputable grey dealer who will look after you for the entire term of the warranty ... plenty of experiences on the forum. :)

That's exactly what I think I might end up doing.

I'm just a bit surprised some reputable UK shops can not tell you if the item they are selling is a grey import or not and have no idea where the item comes from.
I understand this might be difficult for them to verify, but in an age where they all preach about not buying grey, I would expect them to be a bit more careful and set an example.

By the way, I have never bought any grey imports so hence my original questions:

Any CE logos or other distinctive things to look for?...apart from the obvious purchase ticket :)

You can tell from the serial number if it's a Canon body but not with the lenses.

Bob

Depends on the manufacturer but you should be able to ask them directly, you just need the serial number. Which shop have you looked at as most usually know if it’s grey or not.

As for recalls manufacturers should honour these regardless of where they’ve come from. What’s to say someone hasn’t bought a camera whilst on holiday etc.

Lets put this to you. If you went on holiday to say Japan and bought a camera there from an official retail shop, paid all import taxes etc and the camera went faulty . Would you still expect a UK official camera repairers to still carry out the work?
I bought an expensive camera, to me at least, from a grey importer and well pleased with the purchase.
I have no worries about it being repaired as it is insured, and that is your answer. If worried get it insured which I do anyway

They are all made in the same place , sold as a grey or official. the only difference is how it is sold here in the UK

I have a Nikon lens "grey import" and the serial number starts with US******* but who is going to say I didn't bring it into the country from a USA trip and paid import duty on it ?

Last edited:
I'm just a bit surprised some reputable UK shops can not tell you if the item they are selling is a grey import or not and have no idea where the item comes from.
Reputable shops can tell you. Simples.

Check the serial no with the manufacturer. I don't think the original warranties are transferable so you are reliant on the sellers warranty.

i have a grey import d750 and nikon have just fitted the new shutter due to a re call free of charge also a free sensor clean
so don't be put off
or just go to jessops or wex and pay top dollar for the same kit

grey imports always take far better pictures than there uk equivilant
every one knows this its a fact of life

Anything brand new is subject to recall, if a year or so later any issues should have been sorted out

Personally with the service I have had from wex over the last year there the only ones that I would use for s.h goods ,they offer a full 12 months warranty on used items and have a 30 day change your mind policy as well .
However as your not stating what it is your after apart from it’s expensive why not go to h.dew and buy brand new grey models with a 3 year warranty ?

Personally with the service I have had from wex over the last year there the only ones that I would use for s.h goods ,they offer a full 12 months warranty on used items and have a 30 day change your mind policy as well .
However as your not stating what it is your after apart from it’s expensive why not go to h.dew and buy brand new grey models with a 3 year warranty ?
I’ve had excellent service from Harrisons, LCE and Camera Jungle for second hand goods too.

Lets put this to you. If you went on holiday to say Japan and bought a camera there from an official retail shop, paid all import taxes etc and the camera went faulty . Would you still expect a UK official camera repairers to still carry out the work?
No, unless you specifically asked for an international warranty.

No, unless you specifically asked for an international warranty.
Agreed, that's the one problem of buying abroad, warranty is only valid in that country/region therefore would have to be sent back to that country for warranty repair. Recalls on the other hand would be sorted anywhere.

That's exactly what I think I might end up doing.

I understand this might be difficult for them to verify, but in an age where they all preach about not buying grey, I would expect them to be a bit more careful and set an example.

By the way, I have never bought any grey imports so hence my original questions:

Any CE logos or other distinctive things to look for?...apart from the obvious purchase ticket :)

They are grey, not fake. Why would a trader be concerned about how it was originally sold?

Last edited:
They are grey, not fake. How do you expect a dealer to tell you if a genuine camera came in through the correct channels or not?
Serial numbers, easy check. Also, when I've traded my cameras in the shop's have usually asked where they came from.

Serial numbers, easy check. Also, when I've traded my cameras in the shop's have usually asked where they came from.

I realised that and changed my post. But why would a trader be concerned as to how it entered the country? It’s not their concern. As has already been pointed out a camera could have been bought overseas whilst on holiday.

Sounds like you are the sort of person who worries about things so buy new from a UK shop.

They probably don't know or really care if it a camera was originally imported via official channels.
A decent shop will give you warranty and not sure how a manufacturer could refuse a repair under recall.

I realised that and changed my post. But why would a trader be concerned as to how it entered the country? It’s not their concern. As has already been pointed out a camera could have been bought overseas whilst on holiday.
Agreed, just speaking from experience. Grey cameras tend to be cheaper both new and used so that's the only reason I'd want to know so that I don't get 'ripped off' so to speak.

Agreed, just speaking from experience. Grey cameras tend to be cheaper both new and used so that's the only reason I'd want to know so that I don't get 'ripped off' so to speak.

I have to say in that all of my viewings of dealer used equipment I have NEVER seen anything advertised as "grey" ... whether this is because they don't buy grey (which I doubt), or they don't care (which I suspect) is up for debate ... so "ripped off" (if that's your view) would, I suspect, be quite possible.

I can tell with Nikon if its UK, maybe or certainly not.

UK if the box and body serial match plus UK stamp on the box and warranty leaflet matches and has UK on it also.

Maybe if the box or leaflet is not available.

Certainly not if the box does not match or has EP E or whatever other international stamps they use.

For a camera shop offering trade in and looking to sell the equipment second hand, Grey import could see them liable to the full value of VAT and original import duty (afaik) if HMRC found out these had not been paid by the original purchaser / importer.
I have a Nikon lens "grey import" and the serial number starts with US******* but who is going to say I didn't bring it into the country from a USA trip and paid import duty on it ?
HMRC is to say! You realise you've basically admitted to smuggling there!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments, they are very helpful.

I do understand grey imports are the same items from the same factories, not fakes and at a much better price than the EU counterparts....that's not what I was asking here.

I have no problem with buying new grey imports from a few of the well known sellers out there, at least you have their warranty.
I just wanted to know if there's a way to identify a grey import and if the manufacturer will honour future recalls....so I know before spending my money. I would not expect to pay for grey import the same I'd pay for a UK one.

Yes, you can buy it abroad whilst on holidays but unless you get a Tourist warranty card, I believe it's called, your warranty might not be valid here in the UK....at least that's the case with Sony.

Last edited:
Just to chime in here with some info. If you've ever bought a couple of used cameras or lenses from a store then you likely have or have had a grey import somewhere along the way. Stores have no way of confirming where it was purchased other than to provide proof of purchase which most do not ask for. A popular company that many use now has specifically advised me they would only ask for it if they suspected an item to be an import by way of the plug not being a UK plug or documentation in the box that is different to the UK versions (unsure how as all documentation has English in it). Now they normally come with a sellers warranty (at least MPB does) but I'm not sure a sellers warranty allows repairs for callbacks. I believe you shouldn't worry about call backs unless you're buying Nikon ;) and should just buy yourself a camera from a UK vendor whether it's new or used and then you might have some comeback.

Thanks everyone for your comments, they are very helpful.

I do understand grey imports are the same items from the same factories, not fakes and at a much better price than the EU counterparts....that's not what I was asking here.

I have no problem with buying new grey imports from a few of the well known sellers out there, at least you have their warranty.
I just wanted to know if there's a way to identify a grey import and if the manufacturer will honour future recalls....so I know before spending my money. I would not expect to pay for grey import the same I'd pay for a UK one.

Yes, you can buy it abroad whilst on holidays but unless you get a Tourist warranty card, I believe it's called, your warranty might not be valid here in the UK....at least that's the case with Sony.

So if they come from the same place how come theres a price differential?

The price differential is down to a combination of factors.
The major part is the UK VAT and import duty (where appropriate); the smaller part is the cost of companies doing business in UK / EU with regard to consumer rights legislation and warranty requirements, etc.

because we live in rip off Britain and believe all the b*****ks about better service etc ,yet cameras sold abroad get the same warranties and service in those countrys

Just to chime in here with some info. If you've ever bought a couple of used cameras or lenses from a store then you likely have or have had a grey import somewhere along the way. Stores have no way of confirming where it was purchased other than to provide proof of purchase which most do not ask for. A popular company that many use now has specifically advised me they would only ask for it if they suspected an item to be an import by way of the plug not being a UK plug or documentation in the box that is different to the UK versions (unsure how as all documentation has English in it). Now they normally come with a sellers warranty (at least MPB does) but I'm not sure a sellers warranty allows repairs for callbacks. I believe you shouldn't worry about call backs unless you're buying Nikon ;) and should just buy yourself a camera from a UK vendor whether it's new or used and then you might have some comeback.

I think you are completely right, I guess there's no way to know all the time....having said that I did once traded a clearly genuine UK camera with a known seller and I did was asked for the receipt and info on where it was purchased from.

I just wanted to be able to identify a grey but if there are no CE marks or signs, I guess its down to sending the serial number to the manufacturer and checking with them.

I have to say in that all of my viewings of dealer used equipment I have NEVER seen anything advertised as "grey" ... whether this is because they don't buy grey (which I doubt), or they don't care (which I suspect) is up for debate ... so "ripped off" (if that's your view) would, I suspect, be quite possible.
I was browsing wex last week for a used item and one of the cameras had a (we have reason to believe this camera was sourced in Japan ) message on it .

depend which country they initially sent to. Some countries don't have import duty and then purchased from those countries, maybe one reason why. That is my guess.
Also selling on line means no expensive shops to pay rent on or staff to man them
Anyway why worry? as soon as the warrantee runs out one camera is the same as another

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is correct ... certainly MPB state (T&C 5.6.3) "mpb.com retain the right to cancel the transaction or adjust the valuation for any reason inclusive of, but not limited to: If items are not EU or UK stock" and LCE state "Q) Do I need proof of ownership? A) Ideally yes. An original purchase receipt and some form of ID are a great help, but we appreciate that old receipts are not always available so it can be overcome."

As I commented above, the main issue for dealers is that, if they sold a camera which is grey imported, they have no way of knowing if VAT is paid. Without that they are at risk of becoming liable for VAT on reselling the camera (as opposed to using the Margin Scheme for VAT).

As I commented above, the main issue for dealers is that, if they sold a camera which is grey imported, they have no way of knowing if VAT is paid. Without that they are at risk of becoming liable for VAT on reselling the camera (as opposed to using the Margin Scheme for VAT).

I was wondering because someone I know was talking about getting a grey import and pretty much in the same conversation was lambasting Amazon for avoiding paying UK Tax. I was wondering if that was irony.

I was wondering because someone I know was talking about getting a grey import and pretty much in the same conversation was lambasting Amazon for avoiding paying UK Tax. I was wondering if that was irony.

Irony or stupidity, they are much the same in the real world.

I bought my first grey import kit a while ago from HDEW.

I got a 3 year warranty on the body, 1 year on the lens and saved £230.

Great service too I might add.

Would certainly buy another grey without hesitation or guilt.

Back