Grey Imports...How to spot them?

Not really Brexit related... the €2bn goes back to a report examining the whole of the EU and customs / duty collection... https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/SR17_19/SR_CUSTOMS_EN.pdf

The auditing ran from 2007 to 2017.

It's come from the European Commission and relates to a very large sum of tax allegedly owed, which HMRC has already rejected. If you don't think that's Brexit related and that £2.4bn will not be included in the highest level Brexit arguments, I beg to differ.

Edit: just seen your edit - so they've waited 11 years to bring this up now...

Last edited:
....But although this goes back awhile, isn't it now being brought up by the EU (according to the BBC News link above) as part of the Brexit negotiations?
No, it’s being brought up now as part of continuing business of the EU.

Edit: just seen your edit - so they've waited 11 years to bring this up now...
No, not 11 years but it’s 11 years of evidence and information (well 10 years) they have been auditing.

It’s jus part of the continuing business of the EU. As I read the report there is tightening of rules all across the EU it’s not U.K. being singled out (just the U.K. have a big issue according to the report).

No, it’s being brought up now as part of continuing business of the EU.

....The coincidence of its timing with all the current manoeuvring between the EU and UK over Brexit is surely not going to convince ordinary people in the UK that it's not the EU playing a nasty card in the game.

And it's probable that the 'Remainers' will be loudly exploiting the situation by claiming that there wouldn't be such a huge financial claim if the Brexit vote hadn't happened. Anyway, sorry that's a bit off the grey import topic.

....But although this goes back awhile, isn't it now being brought up by the EU (according to the BBC News link above) as part of the Brexit negotiations?

There is no reference to Brexit anywhere in the BBC article, I think you've imagined that...

The European Commission has written to the UK government saying the UK owes €2.7bn (£2.4bn) in customs duties on shoes and textiles imported from China.

The UK is accused of doing too little to prevent fraud after it was warned about the problem by the EU's watchdog Olaf in 2017.

It begins a legal process which could end at the European Court of Justice.

HM Revenue and Customs said it did not recognise the commission's estimate of what it owed.

The Olaf investigation said the UK was a "significant hub" for so-called undervaluation fraud - where importers can profit from evading customs duties and related taxes.

The investigation found organised crime groups had been using fake invoices to undervalue goods being imported from China - many of which were destined for the black market in other parts of the EU, investigators claimed.

Olaf have said they had warned HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) a number of times.

But a government spokesman said: "We do not recognise the European Commission's estimate of alleged duty loss.

"We take customs fraud very seriously, and we continue to evolve our response as new threats emerge.

"We will carefully examine the formal notice from the commission and respond in due course.

"The UK intends to continue to work closely with Olaf and the commission on customs fraud.

"HMRC has a very strong track record for tackling evasion and rule-breaking of all kinds, securing a record £28.9bn last year that would otherwise have gone unpaid."

HMRC said the commission's methodology overestimated UK import values and was not suitable to produce an estimate of alleged customs duty undervaluation.

It said the estimate was based on EU average prices and failed to take into account the "substantial growth in the low-value end of the UK clothing market".

There is no reference to Brexit anywhere in the BBC article, I think you've imagined that...

....Indeed there isn't but the aspect of Brexit was legitimately mentioned by Richard @HoppyUK in his response to the BBC article was it not?

....Indeed there isn't but the aspect of Brexit was legitimately mentioned by Richard @HoppyUK in his response to the BBC article was it not?

That point (which was just an opinion, as opposed to referring to the article) was addressed by @Phil V in post 276.

Last edited:
wheres Sean Connery and the untouchables when you need them , shades of total b******t ,I see business people on here worried about how they are going to operate after Brexit ,thats a legit frame of mind ...but for the rest of us I'm quite sure NONE of us give a really give a toss where the items come from its just how much we pay for it and can we get it repaired if it goes tits up . thats it final end of story .

I assume that you are looking at used cameras, in which case why does it matter?
Any warranty will be with the seller and there is nothing else that will affect your use of the camera or its maintenance, servicing or repair.

Speaking with Olympus, yesterday, I was surprised to be told that any remaining warranty transfers with the lens. So if it was registered with three years' warranty, then an 'authorized' second-hand lens could have residual manufacturer's warranty, whereas a 'grey imported' lens would only have whatever warranty the retailer offers, plus your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act, 2015.

When I asked Olympus what identifying marks would be on an Olympus 'authorized' lens or its packaging, they had no answer. They asked me for the original Bill of Sale, so they could verify whether the retailer is on their list of authorized sellers.

So, it is appropriate to ask this question, as Olympus do not (currently) offer a global warranty service.

From my point of view, I buy grey imports if the price is right. A £1,134 'authorized' camera body vs £430 for the same item as a 'grey import'. Gives me a lot of cash to cover any future repair costs, buy insurance, or simply buy another camera if anything goes wrong.

In any case, many grey importers also have a reputation to maintain. You'll often get a 2, or even 3, year warranty from the importer. Not to mention, if you buy by credit card in the UK, you're covered by the Consumer Rights Act, 2015.

Olympus also tell me, you can pay an up front surcharge for them to repair your grey import, and the figure quoted was far less than the price difference between grey and authorized cameras or lenses.

If "The Customer is King", then Olympus need to get their act together, join the rest of us in the Global Marketplace, and start offering global warranties, as others do. After all, grey import sales must constitute the vast majority of Olympus Worldwide corporate sales revenue.

Rascal

@RascallyBear

Firstly hi & welcome to TP

Where you say "After all, grey import sales must constitute the vast majority of Olympus Worldwide corporate sales revenue.".

I think thay is very UK centric thought, Olympus because they in common with every other manufacturer sell through a retailer/distribution network......the fact that you and others do personal import purchases from such retailers is not relevant. All Olympus know is that retailers in X market did Y volume & value of sales......why should they care where the delivery location was??? In sales terms for the manufacturer there is no such thing as grey market.

Buy yes when it comes to warranty cover and terms that likely needs some refining & a more global approach. AFAIK in the case of Canon, body warranty is locked to country of original end user purchase but lens wherever bought are covered in whichever country the claim is made! Why the difference I have yet to learn of an explanation???

Last edited:
Back