grey market + updates

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Had a conversation with a friend today, he asked me about Firmware updates.
He said he was reading that you may not be able to download any updates for a Grey Market model.
I have never heard of this so asking here
He has been looking at Nikon Z9

Hi
Had a conversation with a friend today, he asked me about Firmware updates.
He said he was reading that you may not be able to download any updates for a Grey Market model.
I have never heard of this so asking here
He has been looking at Nikon Z9

Not true at all.

Reactions: RKC
I have a grey Canon M5, updates have never been a problem.

There's nothing different about a "grey import".

They're even made in the same factory and same production line.

Just think about that for a second..

Cameras are used all over the world, especially ones like the z9. Say you are from Britain, but you buy a camera in Japan and then go to Antarctica to shoot it..
How in the world would Nikon stop you downloading firmware..

Grey market is no different, it’s just the cameras were destined to be sold in a different country than what they are. It’s literally no different than going to another country and buying it.

Nikon said this batch will be sold in Hong Kong, someone bought them all at HK prices and sold them to people in the UK at a small markup but still a lot less than they would be for cameras destined for the Uk market. .. that’s how the grey market works. The cameras are exactly the same.

Not true, the firmware updates will work just fine. They are all the same cameras, made in the same factories. The only thing you'll lose with a grey import is official support from the manufacturer in some cases.

Thank you all for confirming what I thought

Just think about that for a second..

Cameras are used all over the world, especially ones like the z9. Say you are from Britain, but you buy a camera in Japan and then go to Antarctica to shoot it..
How in the world would Nikon stop you downloading firmware..

Grey market is no different, it’s just the cameras were destined to be sold in a different country than what they are. It’s literally no different than going to another country and buying it.

Nikon said this batch will be sold in Hong Kong, someone bought them all at HK prices and sold them to people in the UK at a small markup but still a lot less than they would be for cameras destined for the Uk market. .. that’s how the grey market works. The cameras are exactly the same.

The cameras are not always exactly the same. There can be slight differences like language options being slightly different but that dies not effect firmware upgrades.

The cameras are not always exactly the same. There can be slight differences like language options being slightly different but that dies not effect firmware upgrades.
I recall reading of IIRC a Fuji model intended for the Asia Pacific market that could not be set/updated for the English language.

The cameras are exactly the same. The software might have regional differences.

Back