Ground Pod Mk1

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I had a go at making a Ground Pod yesterday, as I want to do some low level wader images again, so here is the Mk1 version.

Parts used as below

Cheap Gimbal ( which is probably going to fall to bits after a couple of uses, couldn't justify £600 on another Wimberley )
Frisbee ( nicked the idea off here )
Plastic Spacers
UNC 3/8 Bolt

Total cost about £52

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

Lessons learned after putting it all together.

1. Frisbee needs beefing up with a 20cm stainless steel plate ( on order but hasn't arrived yet )

2. Bolt needs to be shorter as the cameras centre of gravity is too high ( shorter bolt ordered )

Will see how the Mk2 differs once the parts arrive.

By the time I've finished it would probably have been cheaper to buy a Skimmer Pod from the US :LOL: but where's the fun in that.

Well done for the innovation and execution, it looks promising

Instead of a frisby, I've seen them made with a cheap alloy frying pan. Just take the handle off and drill a hole in the middle.

IKEA and Asda do cheap 24cm ones for £3-£4

Last edited:
The Mk2 Frisbee version is now complete with the stainless steel plate and shorter bolt fitted, the plate and shorter bolt have eliminated all the flex in the Frisbee which is now giving a very stable platform, so will see how it fairs in the field, but at this moment in time I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

I covered the plate in some camo tape I had lying around, just to get rid of the glare from the shiny metal surface and the shorter bolt means I only had to use 3 spacers as opposed to the 7 in the Mk1 version, so now the centre of gravity is spot on.

The plate and bolt added £11 so the total cost now is £63, so about a third of the cost of a Skimmer Pod shipped to the UK, though I have no doubts the SP will be bomb proof and mine not so much, but it'll do.

The Frying Pan Mk3 version is still on the cards, but Pancake Day is coming up so frying pans are thin on the ground at the moment, but I'm itching to see how one stands up to the bearing press, it will only have to withstand two presses, one 5mm press for the bolt recess and one to flatten the first to make a flat base for the gimbal, so think I'd better buy a decent Tefal one, other makes are available ;)

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

Last edited:
so think I'd better buy a decent Tefal one, other makes are available ;)

All joking aside, I'd look at Ikea - a fraction of the cost of a Tefal one!

I always thought that ball heads and the like were threaded 3/8" BSW not UNC.

Both 16 TPI, but different tread form.

Last edited:
Common misconception.

The only reason I went for UNC was down to seeing the reference made to it on another forum.

As far as I can see it works ok with no cross-threading.

It's quite a small difference, truth be known and in the relatively low load application of camera/tripod interfaces, Whitworth threads are probably "good enough" for the job BUT can bind if overtightened.

Back