Beginner Group photo 4-5 people how to keep everyone in focus?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have some family group photos coming up soon and worried i will not get everyone in focus as i have never really done groups before.

How do you get everyone in focus ? Am i best to use one big square rectangle in the middle of the screen?

(this is supposing face detection does not pick up everyone's face)

BCjL5.jpg

Am i best going for a higher f number to get more dof such as 5.6 as opposed to 3.x ?

Any help appreciated as always.

Cheers,

On a compact? I think it'd be difficult not to have big enough DoF for a small group.

Seriously, bear in mind that the plane of focus is a straight line parallel to the sensor, if everyone is in a line, you've hit it.

If you go for a more artistic grouping, don't do too much depth front to back and focus on the nearest person, or slightly behind them. DoF I'd generally greater beyond than in front of the plane of focus.

Have a look at an online DoF calculator and you'll see you can probably get masses of DoF with 5.6

yeap would be on the advanced compact.

Will try to work out the focal length from X zoom into mm tonight to put into the calculator.

So if everyone was in a line along the focus plane it would not matter where the focus point is ?

As you say after having a rough look at the calculator think even if there was a group of two at the front then three at the back it would work as there is plenty of DOF

Thanks for your help really appreciated

Yes the plane of focus is a straight line, so if your line of people runs along that, whichever one you focus on will bring the rest into focus.

But as you've seen, with such a small sensor the DoF is massive until you get to macro distances.

Which is what will eventually make you buy a better camera ;)

I could do this type of picture at f1.8 on my Canon G16 so I don't think you'll run into any issues.

Back