Group Portraits

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Having been practising a bit with photographing a single subject using single flash and reflector, what would you recommend set up with flashes in terms of taking pictures of two or more subjects?

Also what sort of aperture would you suggest to get good DOF and sharpness?

Regards

Anyone able to offer any advice?

I too would be interested in shooting group Portraits as i have a big family get together soon in Cornwall.

Although I only have the built in flash :(

Andrea. mine will be a mix of 18- outside. possibly on a beach or with a view of the beach behind form the garden.. depending where the sun is :)

I have shot 15 kids (all around 4 years), outdoor with two portable flashes on brollies.

The odds of winning a lottery seemed significantly better than having all them looking to camera (not even talking about smile/cheers/squinting eyes)

Last edited:
Squarepeas.
I imagine that must of been hard work getting them all still well done!
but like I say I don't have any of that gear I just have the standard pop up flash :)

Outside it is then. :) Pop up flash isn't going to help much. Best type of weather is bright with cloud cover later in the day. Don't try to do it at midday with bright sunshine. They'll have panda eyes. Best to try to go for natural shots, not too posed. Have a wide angled lens and a zoom on hand and just let people play and chat. If you have to do a 'posed' shot make sure they make a nice 'shape' not all sat in straight line facing forward.

Good luck!

Hi Andrea ok thanks thats great (y) but what sort of pose would you recommend as i would of just done the line facing forward shot :LOL:
think the older ones in the group will want a "proper" photo :)

It's difficult to say for certain what pose you should use. It rather depends on the people and the available 'props' i.e. There is a brilliant enormous log at one of the venues I use for location shoots. I get some sitting on it. Some standing by it. Kids walking along it behind the sitting down people (I said it was big!) etc. If there are every old grannies then they're probably not going to be able to climb on it. :) You might find a nice sea wall, or a breaker they could stand or sit on. The main thing is not to have a straight line with everyone's heads in a straight line. Think of triangles, try to arrange people so three heads make a triangle or perhaps the line slopes. Other shots could be everyone holding hands in a and either running towards you or strolling if they,re not up to it. It will make them laugh if nothing else.

I'm sure other people here will have some ideas too.

ok thats cool thats given me food for thought :) sorry its short reply my brain is mush ive had the biggest argument on facebook over these damn riots lol.

Cheers for your hepl :) (y)

Back