group shots of animals

Edit My Images
Yes
well dogs to be precise

we are part of a charity called pets as therapy who take our dogs and cats into nursing homes\hospices\hospitals etc to visit patients and elderly people who are away from their own pets or who have had to give them up due to going into care.

anyhow

I made the mistake of taking some pictures at an open day which turned out OK. not professional by any stretch of the imagination but I like them.

They have asked me If I could take a group photo of all the areas dogs for the charities christmas calendar.

the words that entered my head were "ooook" and "erm"

I can probably get a decent enough shot if the light is ok but how the hell do you get 20 dogs who dont really know each other to sit near each other for long enough to get the shot? All the dogs are temprement tested btw so shouldnt be any ..."incidents"

this one took me long enough to get and they are my own dogs who all know each other well.

does anyone have any advice or experience with doing anything like this? I have already considered taking a few and then combining using photoshop but thats cheating in rather a big way

:LOL: I recognise those dogs (y)
I have a full group photo of all of the PAT dogs too, I'll try to dig it out for you.
You could do with a loud whistle to get all of the dogs attention (& I know how co-operative the owners can be too :LOL:)
Am sure you'll be fine - just get each handler to line up with their dog & make sure they are all paying attention & waiting for the signal of when you are going to take the photo. As you said, the dogs temperament testing allowed me to get a very close group shot of them without incident.
You'll be needing a wide angle lens too!

cool

are you the poor guy who had to try to get the picture for the magazine at arrowe park?

that was like herding cats :)

its mainly my experiences at that shoot thats responsible for the "oook" response.

or are you the bloke responsible for me being here (on the forum) who i was chatting to in the PAT tent at the PDSA show? :)

ahh so you are the bloke with the lens I wanted to nick, from the PDSA show :) I am the bloke who you gave the card to for here. I got some quite nice shots that day despite the weather.

speaking of lenses what would you advise btw?

I have a 50 mm prime and various zoomy types that will give me a range from 18 -300. but could borrow some others for the day if I need anything weird.

Yep, that was me :p
If you can use the kind of space that we had on that day then you should be fine with the 50mm & a bit of a run up :LOL: I would say that you're pretty much covered with the ranges that you describe - just watch out for the image quality at the edge of your frame when using the shorter focal lengths.
Feel free to get my number from Eileen & give me a shout if you need any advice closer to the time mate (y)

Back