Groyne at Cromer - need some help

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
:)Hopefully this is a cut down sized image:

and heres a link to the bigger picture.... :)

IMGP0985a.jpg

Had a walk along the north norfolk coast today and thought this might turn out to be quite a nice pic - converted to b&w through elements 7 and boosted the contrast (think too much!!!)

To me, the sky is flat and dull, how can i give it a bit more oomph......

Below is the original file, at original size - hopefully this is only a link, if not, apologies for killing the website!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMGP0985-1.jpg

Would be grateful for all comments / criticism, feel free to process as you feel fit, but please tell me what you've done, how and why........ that's the only way i'll learn.

P.S. Have Elements 7 and CS3.

ok - i lied about the original size - they are the resized ones on photobucket - how do i put in a link to original file size?

Ta

Lynton

Converted the colour to B/W via Image > Adjustment > Gradient Map in Photoshop CS3. Chose Black to White and dialled in the bottom right slider down to 95% location.

Selected just the sky using the quick selection tool and did a bit of burning in. Also did some burning in on the pebbles on the beach ( 20% opacity) and the shadow to the right of the groyne.

Selected the dodge tool and did a bit of dodging on the groyne itself.

It's not brilliant and I'm sure others can do better :)

groyne.jpg

Last edited:
Lynton

Here is an edit, run the image into PS and performed levels on the original. The converted to B&W and applied a red filter, increased the contrast slightly and sharpened.

3561381388_b64aab0af0_o.jpg

Regards

Nigel

Hi Lynton
Shutterman beat me to it.
Anyway here's what I was about to suggest.
First sticking your main subject smack in middle of frame generally doesn't work - as here.
In processing use your CS3 levels and experiment and / or use selective processing on sky if you wish to enhance.
Finally use Image - adjustments - Black & White to control individual shades in conversion and play around until you're happy.

Last edited:
For me, the original has not got sufficient texture/contrast for B&W conversion. Agree with Rockshifter that central subject does not work. I'd also get rid of the tripod post in the BG.
Sorry to sound negative, but I tend to comment on shots that I like but feel need a bit of work.

Cheers guys for your comments and tips - will have a play later on when the other half is having her swim in the bath.

Don't worry about criticising or sounding negative - much prefer to be told straight that x is poor rather than x needed a little bit of work on it.....

Shutterman - love what you've done to it - seems with CS3 all things are possible...:)

Rockshifter - good point about centralised image.......... will bear that in mind

Back