GT Cup Donington Park

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
My first trip to a race meeting this year, for day 2 of the GT CUP meeting at Donington Park yesterday. As always, C&C welcome and encouraged on these images

Some great shots. Not seen the viewpoint of No.2 before, is that looking down the Craners?

bottom of the infield section looking towards Old Hairpin, with Starkey's Bridge in the shot.
That's number 5, it's number 2 I was referring to (y)

Some great shots. Not seen the viewpoint of No.2 before, is that looking down the Craners?
It's through the marshals post as they start to properly drop down the hill. Here's a wider shot from the same place

GT Cup Donington Park April 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

For some reason I thought you were accredited and so could be track side?
I used to be, from 2014 to end of 2019 a lot of my stuff was from the other side of the fence. The website I worked for shut down, Covid happened and MSV in particular clamped down on who they gave accreditation to so I'm back to being a spectator now. Got accredited for the Silverstone Classic last year but that's the only time I've done it in almost 4 years. It's fine, this is supposed to be fun and it was turning into a job which isn't what I wanted.

It's through the marshals post as they start to properly drop down the hill. Here's a wider shot from the same place

GT Cup Donington Park April 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

I used to be, from 2014 to end of 2019 a lot of my stuff was from the other side of the fence. The website I worked for shut down, Covid happened and MSV in particular clamped down on who they gave accreditation to so I'm back to being a spectator now. Got accredited for the Silverstone Classic last year but that's the only time I've done it in almost 4 years. It's fine, this is supposed to be fun and it was turning into a job which isn't what I wanted.
That's a shame, but if it was becoming a chore then maybe it's for the best. I'd love to get accredited but I've never pursued it as I only go to 2 or 3 events/year and can't commit to more.

That's a shame, but if it was becoming a chore then maybe it's for the best. I'd love to get accredited but I've never pursued it as I only go to 2 or 3 events/year and can't commit to more.
I mean if I got the chance again to shoot for somebody trackside I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not actively chasing it if that makes sense? If it happens that somebody wants me to shoot for them then fine but if not I'm happy as a paying fan and shooting for my own pleasure. If you know how to shoot through the fence, which you do, then honestly it doesn't make a huge difference, especially with the proliferation of red zones at MSV tracks over the past few years. Anyway it's a nice challenge getting high quality shots from the spectator side :)

Last edited:
I mean if I got the chance again to shoot for somebody trackside I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not actively chasing it if that makes sense? If it happens that somebody wants me to shoot for them then fine but if not I'm happy as a paying fan and shooting for my own pleasure. If you know how to shoot through the fence, which you do, then honestly it doesn't make a huge difference, especially with the proliferation of red zones at MSV tracks over the past few years. Anyway it's a nice challenge getting high quality shots from the spectator side :)
Yeah I know what you're saying. It is getting more difficult to shoot through the fencing as they're now putting a second wooden fence about 8ft away from the catch fencing which you can't get beyond making it very difficult to 'hide' it. Also it does decrease the contrast, there's a big difference between those shot as the inside of Redgate for example compared to those shot through fencing.

Don't get me wrong I understand why the catch fencing's there, I'm just not sure why they've felt the need to add the second wooden fence. It's a far cry from when I used to go as a kid :LOL:

NZ7_2704 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

NZ7_2707 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Yeah I know what you're saying. It is getting more difficult to shoot through the fencing as they're now putting a second wooden fence about 8ft away from the catch fencing which you can't get beyond making it very difficult to 'hide' it. Also it does decrease the contrast, there's a big difference between those shot as the inside of Redgate for example compared to those shot through fencing.

Don't get me wrong I understand why the catch fencing's there, I'm just not sure why they've felt the need to add the second wooden fence. It's a far cry from when I used to go as a kid :LOL:

NZ7_2704 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

NZ7_2707 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I know, getting close to the fence is important and I don't know why the wooden fence has been put up either. I can't do chicane shots on the national circuit anymore as I can't make the fence disappear. I'm not generally a huge fan of shooting at Donington anyway, especially on the national circuit. The whole circuit needs rotating 90 degrees so the sun is in a more convenient place :ROFLMAO:

I do understand why the fences are there but how nice would it be if circuits still looked like your shots there.

As I mentioned above, with the massive proliferation of red zones at MSV tracks (areas you're not allowed to stand in or shoot from trackside), there are now many shots that are impossible from the media side of the fence. This shot below from Oulton Park is impossible to get on the media side of the fence as it's a red zone, you have to be in the spectator area shooting through the fence

DSCF7851.jpg

Last edited:
I know, getting close to the fence is important and I don't know why the wooden fence has been put up either. I can't do chicane shots on the national circuit anymore as I can't make the fence disappear. I'm not generally a huge fan of shooting at Donington anyway, especially on the national circuit. The whole circuit needs rotating 90 degrees so the sun is in a more convenient place :ROFLMAO:

I do understand why the fences are there but how nice would it be if circuits still looked like your shots there.

As I mentioned above, with the massive proliferation of red zones at MSV tracks (areas you're not allowed to stand in or shoot from trackside), there are now many shots that are impossible from the media side of the fence. This shot below from Oulton Park is impossible to get on the media side of the fence as it's a red zone, you have to be in the spectator area shooting through the fence

View attachment 387596
I managed to get this from the Roberts Chicane but it's not great, I tried to lean as far over the wooden fence as I could

A1_05816-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

All of the shots from Coppice, and Roberts Chicane were through the fence obviously and whilst it's great having dehaze and other tricks in PP to 'cover up' the flaws caused by the catch fencing it's not ideal. I don't know if you've been recently but they've now put wooden fencing uo behind the catch fencing along the main straight (old Dunlop Straight), I don't recall there ever being an accident there.

It's only a matter of time before they put fencing up on the inside of Redgate and the Craner Curves I think. It would be great if they could put little 'letterbox' openings like the do in some places at Silverstone but obviously photography is not a primary concern of the organisers.

Last edited:
I managed to get this from the Roberts Chicane but it's not great, I tried to lean as far over the wooden fence as I could

A1_05816-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

All of the shots from Coppice, and Roberts Chicane were through the fence obviously and whilst it's great having dehaze and other tricks in PP to 'cover up' the flaws caused by the catch fencing it's not ideal. I don't know if you've been recently but they've now put wooden fencing uo behind the catch fencing along the main straight (old Dunlop Straight), I don't recall there ever being an accident there.

It's only a matter of time before they put fencing up on the inside of Redgate and the Craner Curves I think. It would be great if they could put little 'letterbox' openings like the do in some places at Silverstone but obviously photography is not a primary concern of the organisers.
I'd say Craner Curves and the exit of the Old Hairpin / outside of Starkey's are prime candidates for fencing in the near future. I really hope not but you can see it coming. I guess in time every circuit will be fenced all the way round, such is "progress" In fairness a lot of it is driven by insurance companies, Health & Safety reports etc. I know some fencing went up at Oulton at the behest of MSVs insurers, same with all the red zones. Brands has photo holes around the GP loop I believe which were put there purely for spectator photography. With this and the forced switch to EVs we need to enjoy it while we still can.

Back