'Guardian' - Tryfan, Snowdonia

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No

Guardian
by Greg Whitton, on Flickr

Tryfan. Perhaps my favourite mountain in the UK. I've climbed it dozens of times and each time I get butterflies in my stomach ahead of the climb. Not because I am nervous, but because of sheer excitement. This image was shot back in April on the morning after an incredibly cold wild camp on Y Foel Goch. I noticed this muddy pool just before I began my descent to Bwylch Tryfan. I thought it made an interesting lead-in subject to the still softly lit Tryfan in the background.

Why the post today when everyone is posting their images that have achieved success in LPOTY? Well, these days I like to think I shoot for myself and not for competitions. Success in those is a by-product of my enjoyment of the outdoors and of photography in general. Yes, I had an image commended in the competition this year and so yes it will be in the book. Whilst it remains an image I am proud of, it is from last year and I feel I have moved on. This image is a bit more representative of my style of shooting in 2016 and for me it's a stronger image in many ways. It was rejected at the first hurdle in the competition. But, for me, it remains one of my favourite entries. That is why I'm posting this one and not the one that achieved success today (more about that soon). Hope you enjoy it too.

Excellent capture Greg like the pool of water does make a great lead in,the mountain sits just nice in the photo.
The clouds complete a great capture.
GEORGE.

Stunning image Greg. It's shots like this that inspire me to stop being a lazy photographer and get myself up these mountains.

Like many here, I just wish I had more time to do it and In turn, the possibility of being there when the light is good!!!

Saw this on Flickr and thought it was incredible. Top work I think.

Stunning image Greg. It's shots like this that inspire me to stop being a lazy photographer and get myself up these mountains.

Like many here, I just wish I had more time to do it and In turn, the possibility of being there when the light is good!!!

Same! I've been meaning to go to Snowdonia for some time now, and all the photos that I've seen in the results of LPOTY have given me the push to actually book the time off work! Got 4 days planned in mid November now. I'll probably come back with a memory card full of crap photos, but at least I tried :LOL:

Same! I've been meaning to go to Snowdonia for some time now, and all the photos that I've seen in the results of LPOTY have given me the push to actually book the time off work! Got 4 days planned in mid November now. I'll probably come back with a memory card full of crap photos, but at least I tried :LOL:[/QUOTE]

But we all love a trier :exit:

Nice shot by the way. As said above, would love to go higher but never feel very confident on my own.

Last edited:
Instantly recognisable isn't it, that's a cracker Greg.
That icy pool couldn't have been better placed for a excellent lead in and flanked by the coppery frozen grass.... Nice!
Then topped off with the summit of Tryfan, nice work indeed(y)

Same! I've been meaning to go to Snowdonia for some time now, and all the photos that I've seen in the results of LPOTY have given me the push to actually book the time off work! Got 4 days planned in mid November now. I'll probably come back with a memory card full of crap photos, but at least I tried :LOL:

But we all love a trier :exit:

Nice shot by the way. As said above, would love to go higher but never feel very confident on my own.[/QUOTE]

Saw this on Flickr and thought it was incredible. Top work I think.

You've gotta get out there folks. I run workshops that are designed specifically to get folks out of their comfort zones and into the mountains, for this very reason. Just sayin'.

It's nice that you have found your own shot rather than shoot straight over llyn y caseg fraith actually. Got to add the processing is rather tasteful too, slightly moody and detailed but very realistic.

Great textures Greg and lovely composition.
Im off to Snowdonia tomorrow for a few days, my first visit, will take in Anglesey as well, quite excited.

Back