Critique Guess what......

Edit My Images
Yes
Fireworks! :D

Tbh there hasn't been as many photos of fireworks as I thought there might have been :shrug:

Anyway, here's a few I've taken this evening. It was my first time :whistle::naughty: .....and would have liked a more interesting location, but at least the weather was good :cool:

A little dark maybe :thinking:

Any comments welcome :)

DSC_4837_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

DSC_4831_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

DSC_4822_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

DSC_4845_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

DSC_4844_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

DSC_4856_01
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Thanks for the replies :)

Very fortunate with the weather yesterday, we'd had heavy blustery showers all day. Come 6 o'clock, sky cleared and wind dropped :clap:

Nice shots - 3rd is the pick of the bunch for me, although I would crop out the dead space at the top.

I'm gonna give Fireworks a try tomorrow night. Like yourself, will be my first attempt - any pointers or things you learned from the experience that you can pass on?

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony, thank you :)

I suppose it depends on what your looking to achieve

One thing I did learn fairly quickly was that I wasn't getting what I wanted. At first, I was taking exposures of between 6 to 10 seconds using bulb mode with a wireless remote with aperture set at F11 , result was far too many star bursts, on one picture, than I wanted (they just looked too busy)

I reset the aperture to F5.6 and every time the sky was empty for a second or two (no aerial star bursts) I would start the exposure but stop it as soon as the next star burst had finished, so exposures were a lot shorter and only catching one or two burst,plus what ever floor display at the time. It didn't work every time, obviously, but when it did I got the effect above, which is what I was looking for. I did wonder if the photos above were a little dark but any longer exposure left them looking too busy again.

I hope that makes sense :D I'm not very good at trying to explain stuff like that

One thing I did learn from last night was, I would definitely change were I stood. What looks like a wonky horizon isn't, its a dry stone wall that sat between me and the trees and ran at a 45 deg angle to me in the middle of the field :thinking:

Phil, thanks for the reply - it all makes perfect sense and is exactly the kind of 'real world' advice I was looking for ahead of my trip out tomorrow (y)

Over all a nice set of photos :thumbs you've got some really nice colours, focus is good and there is no camera shake that I can see, the trees at the bottom give a sense of the scale of the fireworks...I see you were going for a more minimal look and you've certainly effectively done this, I'm personally of the school of thought that I prefer to see a little more of the landscape

Last edited:
Phil, thanks for the reply - it all makes perfect sense and is exactly the kind of 'real world' advice I was looking for ahead of my trip out tomorrow (y)

Np Tony, look forward to seeing your photos :)

Nice set... I have yet to have a go at this.

Thanks Mandy, its quite a few years ago now but I remember watching some excellent displays at the polo ground just outside Cirencester :)

Over all a nice set of photos :thumbs you've got some really nice colours, focus is good and there is no camera shake that I can see, the trees at the bottom give a sense of the scale of the fireworks...I see you were going for a more minimal look and you've certainly effectively done this, I'm personally of the school of thought that I prefer to see a little more of the landscape

Thanks Matt, a different location with a bit more landscape is what I'll definitely be looking for next time :)

Back