Guide to avoid having photos stolen

Name
.... Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
1. Don't post them on Facebook
2. Don't post them on Flickr.
3. If your ego needs massaging with 'likes' and you can't possibly adhere to 1 and 2, put a big ugly watermark on it.

Err...that's it

If you can't follow above don't come crying to me when some bad man puts your picture on his website.

No, it's not fair and no, it's not right....but that's life. Just like it's not fair or right if I leave my car running in the drive with the keys in the ignition and someone steals it. The insurance won't pay out as it was my fault. Posting photos on Facebook is the equivalent of leaving your car unlocked in a dodgy part of town with a laptop on show on the seat. You might get away with it for ages, but eventually it's gonna get nicked.

So man up, stop the qq and take some personal responsibility. And if you really have to tell someone who cares about your self inflicted problems, go to the airport and ask for a ticket to Utopia; that's where the people who care live.

Hope you found this guide useful. Next week's guide will be on how to make friends and influence people.

Hope you found this guide useful. Next week's guide will be on how to make friends and influence people.
That was a well needed chuckle, thanks (y)

Love it, and so true :D(n)

Just to be pedantic (unlike me I know!). If someone takes a copy of your images, they are not stolen, they are infringed.

They can't be stolen if you still have them.

Steve.

3. If your ego needs massaging with 'likes' and you can't possibly adhere to 1 and 2, put a big ugly watermark on it.

Err...that's it

If you can't follow above don't come crying to me when some bad man puts your picture on his website.

No, it's not fair and no, it's not right....but that's life. Just like it's not fair or right if I leave my car running in the drive with the keys in the ignition and someone steals it. The insurance won't pay out as it was my fault. Posting photos on Facebook is the equivalent of leaving your car unlocked in a dodgy part of town with a laptop on show on the seat. You might get away with it for ages, but eventually it's gonna get nicked.

So man up, stop the qq and take some personal responsibility. And if you really have to tell someone who cares about your self inflicted problems, go to the airport and ask for a ticket to Utopia; that's where the people who care live.

I like the cut of this man's jib :)

I've found taking pictures that aren't worth stealing is also effective.

I have a photo which I considered was not worth stealing which I put on Flickr. It has still turned up on a couple of blogging websites, so the bar is set pretty low for what will get nicked.

3. If your ego needs massaging with 'likes' and you can't possibly adhere to 1 and 2, put a big ugly watermark on it..

Yep, I'll drink to that. :)

Dave

Last edited:
If you use 500px people can't copy you photos. Try it and see. ButI have to admit I am guilty of the Facebook thing. I also use photo bucket for hosting avatars, sigs, and any potos I'm not quite sure are right so post them here for critique, but I have all my albums on there set to private.

I have a photo which I considered was not worth stealing which I put on Flickr. It has still turned up on a couple of blogging websites, so the bar is set pretty low for what will get nicked.
Do blogging sites count as theft, I'd always ignored them? That means I've officially been stolen I must be a great tog after all!

If you use 500px people can't copy you photos. Try it and see. ButI have to admit I am guilty of the Facebook thing. I also use photo bucket for hosting avatars, sigs, and any potos I'm not quite sure are right so post them here for critique, but I have all my albums on there set to private.
I tried it and seen.
View attachment 7027

I was just about to post the same thing! It wasn't even difficult on the ipad, simply put my finger on the image and then selected 'save image', I chose the giraffe though.

Why don't people just believe exactly what the OP wrote, if you want to keep hold of your images, keep them off the internet. Simples; as the youngsters say.

If it is viewable on a PC screen it can be copied. In fact, at that point it has already been copied.

If it is viewable on a PC screen it can be copied. In fact, at that point it has already been copied.

This. There is a screenshot key on the keyboard with a bit of editing then needed to crop and also software such as gyazo and similar where you can select parts of the screen you want to take a copy of etc.

I can understand the frustration if a professional photographer gets images infringed, but to be honest for a keen amateur like me who has no intention to sell images I would take it as a compliment:D

This too, which has messed with the indecency laws, as 'making an obscene image' is seen as more serious than being in possession of an indecent image, however people who view indecent images from the internet are charged with the former as their computer makes a copy. The judge that ruled on that has perverted the laws that were handed down from parliament.

I can understand the frustration if a professional photographer gets images infringed, but to be honest for a keen amateur like me who has no intention to sell images I would take it as a compliment:D
I will never understand this viewpoint:thinking:

If I cook a great meal and someone walks into the house and steals it, it's not a compliment.

If I grow prize winning vegetables?

Brew great beer?

Buy a nice car?

Marry a gorgeous woman?

If someone takes something without permission it's not a compliment, pro or amateur, it's the same thing.

I will never understand this viewpoint:thinking:

If I cook a great meal and someone walks into the house and steals it, it's not a compliment.

If I grow prize winning vegetables?

Brew great beer?

Buy a nice car?

Marry a gorgeous woman?

If someone takes something without permission it's not a compliment, pro or amateur, it's the same thing.

Whilst I agree entirely with the point you are making, your examples are not really relevant. If someone eats your meal and vegetables, drinks your beer and steals your car taking your wife with him, you no longer have these things but if someone makes a copy of your image, you still have it.

This is why it's infringement and not theft/stealing (although I don't think stealing a wife is an offence!!).

Steve.

I've found taking pictures that aren't worth stealing is also effective.

So far, every image I've had "infringed" has been one I'd have categorised as average at best. Maybe that's why professional stock photography is struggling - no one's realised that the market wants crap images!

.. just found another one tonight, gawd knows why a premium French bespoke aquarium manufacturer chose to lift an image of my aquarium to advertise a public aquarium project they've done in France. It was only a flash test shot to illustrate a how-to post on a forum. I hadn't even cleaned up the algae..

Back