Guinea pigs (competition to cats and dogs) appreciation society

Edit My Images
No
I though I would pit the Pigs against the cat and dogs, hopefully there are more pig shots out there than just the ones I will put up to start with.

If more get added it will keep my daughter happy.

Poppy
IMG_5149-Edit.jpg

Rosie
IMG_5162-Edit.jpg

Daisy
IMG_5536.jpg

:clap:Ha Ha Ha absolutely fab shots!
They certainly look very individual little characters don't they? I wonder what they are thinking...............I think Poppie is thinking WELL come on HURRY UP!
Rosie is thinking, Are You SURE you know what you are doing! and I think Daisy is well Just cute:)

Hi Ian

Background is a sheet of B&G white hardboard on the kitchen table with the far away end raised about 20cm to give a gentle curve.

Lencarta Smartflash with 85cm square softbox about 60cm from piglet just off to the left of the camera. silver reflector to the right.

50mm lens at f16 to try and get enough depth of field, prefocused on where you plan to set pig up. Camera on tripod with cable release so that when you manage to get pig to stay still for the millisecond that they do you have a chance of getting the shot.

Last edited:
lovely pigs! I'll play, just because your daughter sounds as bad as my wife! She had 45 guinea pigs when she was a girl.
We had 23 not so long ago, we are now down to 8. All getting very old.
Anyway, meet DEXTER (no longer with us, but my wifes alltime favourite)

6680861901_9cfcf55d2a_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Not a planned shot, but now a treasured shot.he was a real character.

Kev.

Last edited:
He looks like he was a lovely pig that was full of character. Was there much brushing involved to keep him looking so cute. I am starting to think that showing this thread to my daughter might not be such a good idea, a couple of weeks ago she lost her 2nd and most favourite pig so we are currently down to 2, knowing how noisy they can get when they want fed I can't get my head round the idea of 45.

I will need to dig out a couple of other earlier shots before I tried the studio type ones.

Hardly any brushing at all. We had to trim him every now and again. I didn't believe my wife that they all had their own little personalities and attitudes until I saw it for myself.
They are very social animals and like to be with others.
Linda used to breed and show them. If you ever need any help, just shout. She knows all there is to know about them. Our 8 aren't too noisy.Little characters though!

Kev.

I'll play along, here's one of my old piggie Bob, he's long since departed now sadly.

3043932944_f2bd993d19_z.jpg

My specialty is guinea pigs.
What I would say for the ones in the OP, is that your are standing too high on them, Eye level all the way...
They also look very shocked and not completely relaxed. Almost like you just plonked them there and thought 'that'll do'.

These are a few of mine...
281199_10150254998876937_732196936_7711025_3369241_n.jpg

403679_10150470526981937_732196936_8870663_1840058973_n.jpg

61946_451100471936_732196936_5613516_4638668_n.jpg

46647_442749846936_732196936_5439853_6459970_n.jpg

149253_480135931936_732196936_6074017_5579052_n.jpg

196180_10150122009156937_732196936_6792457_2268976_n.jpg

Hope you see what I mean xxx

Love your outdoor shot Nicky, if it manages to stop raining long enough for the grass to dry out in the west coast of Scotland I will be trying to get some outdoor shots.

Thanks for adding a pic Andrew, Rodney certainly has intersting colouring round his left eye.

Hi Violet, they were a bit less relaxed than normal as it was me that was handling them rather than my daughter as I was trying to get a few pictures to create a a surprise T shirt transfer, that combined with hearing that their cucumber wages were being reduced. Good tip about getting lower, will give that a go the next time which I hope will be in more natural habitat/lighting environment.

Really like your 5th shot, I would certainly be getting a poster of that one if it was one of mine and getting 12 to line up for one shot is nothing short of miraculous.

Older shot in natural light taken when I was still trying to figure out what apeture you needed to have set to have any change of getting most of the subject in focus.

Maisy, Daughters favorite, sadly passed away on the 29th of December.
IMG_5327.jpg

p.s forgot to add that so far I am finding that Guinea Pigs are proving to be one of the trickiest subjects I have come across to get a good picture of so if anyone has good tips that the would like to pass on then I would appreciate them.

staffitaxi said:
How the heck did you manage to get all those to sit still all at once?

And 60+ guinea pigs - There must be somewhere you can get help for that :LOL:

YES.... HOW DID YOU MANAGE THIS. Fabulous photo btw....

p.s forgot to add that so far I am finding that Guinea Pigs are proving to be one of the trickiest subjects I have come across to get a good picture of so if anyone has good tips that the would like to pass on then I would appreciate them.

Sometimes it's down to patients if you get a naughty one that wont sit still. It's also having the confidence that pushing them around isn't going to hurt them.
I'm obviously very used to handling guineas so I don't find getting a good shot hard at all.
My set up is basically 2 bits of plywoon about 1x2ft, placed in an L shape, then with either A2 card curved over it, or a bit of white PVC table covering (because I can clean it, and it's also reflective, helping the lighting).
Setting the pig down on a slight angle and nudging their head slightly toward you so they are looking at you is the usual position. Also picking them up gently by the shoulders with one hand and putting them down again letting the front feet touch the floor first and they rest down into a more posed position.

As for needing to see someone about how many guineas I have, I get that a lot, but wouldn't change for the world! I breed and show them, it's a hobby just as much as photography is. ;) (y)

And those 12 girls are all just very well behaved. Hardest part was finding somewhere big enough to put them. :)

There are lots more photos of guineas that I have done for other people on my website in the portfolio section if you wanted to check it out... http://marthasphotos.weebly.com

Last edited:
Back