Guitar - into the PC ?

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anybody here - uses their PC with their guitar

All on my lonesome these days (no band or anything) but fancied getting some kind of guitar to USB PC cable to build up some bass and guitar tracks for the fun of it.

I was chatting with a friend the other day who said such cables (with software) were available fairly cheaply.

Last time I did such stuff was with a small 8 track (no PC) but I'd be quite keen if it could be done for little outlay.

have you looked at guitar rig? used to connect a keyboard and used reason to process it but that was a while ago so things will have moved on by now

I do use my Mac with my guitars, what you need is an audio interface. I use a Line 6 Toneport UX2, I got this about 5 years ago for £150. It has two instrument inputs and two XLR inputs.
The quality is very good too

Sorry duplicate post

Last edited:
I looked it up after you mentioned it Mustafa.

A lot of the Jargon has me a tad perplexed but it seems to be the kind of thing I'm after.

Putting that to one side for now - what would be my cheaper options ?

Last edited:
How about the UX1? http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line6-pod-studio-ux1/18732
It depends how many sources you will need to record at once.

Or if you're not at all bothered by quality (e.g. just demo songs etc) then get a mic in front of your guitar/amp and have it direct into your PC's mic input. It's not great quality (especially compared to the nice mic pre-amp on a dedicated interface) but is a good starting point to see if you enjoy working on a pc.

Cheers for that.

I'm only looking to record one source at a time - bass, then a couple of guiter tracks.

Drums I thought could be done on the PC ?

Drums I thought could be done on the PC ?

You'll need Superior Drummer or something similar. I use a proper electric drumkit midi'd into my laptop running Superior in real time and record using Reaper. For Guitar/bass, I either plug it in to my Roland UA-25 which is USB'd into the PC, or use the Zoom H1 audio recorder and then transfer the files accross. Guitar rig is a good bit of kit for different sounds, or you could get something like the Korg Pandora which can connect to a PC and has loads of built in sounds and amps.

Back