Gulls? a crow and a robin

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Been out trying my hand at some birds and animals.

The birds were handy enough and shot from the best mobile hide ive found ....... my car lol.

IMG_0029.jpg

LC2L1964.jpg

LC2L1976.jpg

LC2L1988.jpg

5 60-70% crop
LC2L1996.jpg

LC2L2031.jpg

Most shot with 1dmkII + 300 F4L ISO400-800 (No.1 with a 40d and No.6 1d+300+2x)

1,4,5 are all crops from the originals to help improve composition

I think no.6 would have been better with a slower shutter speed but it was shot with a 300 f4 + 2x from memory so hand holding was hard enough lol.

Any C&C or advice on where to go around Northern Ireland greatly appreciated.

Cheers Neil

Last edited:
You're right about the last one being a robin. Middle one is jackdaw not crow and the gulls are black headed gulls.

Comments:

1. Love the interaction between the 2 on the left but the herring gull on the right and the one in flight do draw the eye (could you crop tighter?)
2 and 3 are nice portraits but its a shame that you've cropped bits of the bird in both
4 and 5 are good portraits
6 - this is the interesting one. I normally love flock shots but this just looks too cluttered to me. I think I'd be tempted to crop the bottom off and just focus on the stuff in flight as the birds on the water are out of focus anyway...

Ah well 1 out of 3 aint bad lol.

thanks for the Id's and the comments :D

Ill re-look at no.1 and 6 and see if i can crop them a bit better to get rid of the distractions.

Might have a couple of uncropped potrait style ones of the black head gulls but the Jackdaw flew off as soon as the shutter went the first time lol.

Thanks for the comments, ill get some edits posted up when i get a chance

Cheers

Sorry, don't mean to be negative, just providing feedback. Jackdaws can be shy sometimes so keep trying when you get the chance. Always a problem with a prime that you have to frame with what you are given.

These are a pretty good try at birds if you're not used to photographing them, a few adjustments needed, but overall good stuff.

You're getting the focus ok no problem, just a bit of work on composition and cropping, but then shooting birds in the wild is never an easy thing ;)

Hope to see more of your work Neil, well done (y)

Back