Gun and game (dead bird warning)

Very good that, can't fault it really

Nice lighting!

I was expecting something horrific with the warning. You see dead birds all the time in Sainsbury's :) I was expecting blood and gore. LOL

Focus hasn't been held across the whole frame.. that's my only gripe with this. The feathers towards the back are out of focus, as is the nearest cartridge. Softness at the back isn't that big a deal, but the cartridge at the front is a shame.You shot this at f7.1.... I think this was a case for stopping down past the lens's sweet spot, taking a bit of a resolution hit, and keeping it sharp throughout.

Pity you didn't have access to a large format camera :)

That is a really great idea brilliantly executed.
Thats a front cover for a magazine if ever I saw one.

That is a really great idea brilliantly executed.
Thats a front cover for a magazine if ever I saw one.

It's good enough, yes... but it's the wrong format for a magazine front over.. unless it's a boxed out image, and not the actual cover shot. You'd struggle to use this as a full bleed cover shot.

If there's a chance to reshoot this at a smaller aperture, I definitely would.. just make everything sharp. I think it would be worth it.

Really like this photo. Would look great as a menu cover in a country pub.

Thanks for the input guys, sorry for slow reply i havent been on in a few days.

Shooting season nearly over, ill see what i can do about DOF, the subject is in the freezer so ill have to look for a replacement.

Going to do a similar but different version of this some time.

PS. heres another version

Shotgun-16-2-Edit.jpg by wysiwyg_photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not liking the toned black and white, sorry. It's lost everything the first one had going for it. Doesn't seem to have the same lighting either. Was the first one available light or studio? If it was available light, then it may not be possible to fully recreate it I suppose, but this seems to have lost the softness the first one had.

I'm liking the first one.

Choice of cartridge works well with the tones too. Red, green or yellow etc would have spoiled the feel.

Personally I'd lighten the top left of the original image as if it gets printed, it would come out too dark to see any detail in it in most cases. I like the composition of the shot and the subject matter, but that corner really is bugging me.

Back