Guys need help ASAP not photography

Edit My Images
Yes
i need to write a CV, big deal some may say, i have never written one before and i am looking to change my job ASAP, trouble is, i have no qualifications, cant remember half the schools i went to, and i am 52, am i over the hill or what.
i recently changed my job from Rose growing(38years) to Garden Centre shrub/salesman, but the old git who runs it is driving me insane with her shouting and balling and general bad moods, she is a drinker and heavy smoker and totally has no respect for anyone, so i am looking to put together a CV in order to try and move to one of the other 6 garden centres we have around this area.
any help would be appreciated, oh and i wish to give them 7 days notice from tommorow, and i need to word that as well.
Any dirty ones pm me...

i can email you my cv if you want, its a nice simple layout but it seems to have worked

and by the looks of it your line of work is something where qualifications mean jack**** and its all in experience (of which you appear to have alot) i got my current job not on the fact i had excellent qualifications but more on the fact that i had previous experience and this was well layed out on my cv

Steve mate,

Have you been asked to supply a CV by any of these gardening centres? I'd have thought with your experience in the field and being local, you'd have no problem, being welcomed by any of those places with open arms. :)

If you have to do one it shouldn't be a big problem, its just a matter of providing the relevant information. I'd think a Google search would turn up any number of templates/formats for you to use.

All your notice need be is...

'I herewith give 7 days notice, effective from (date) of my intention to terminate my employment with (firm)'

signed

Boon :D

No need to go into your reasons, you may be interviewed and asked why - it's up to you what reasons you choose to give - if any.

I totally agree with the above posts and sorry your in such a predicament.:(

If you feel the need to do a CV and I'm no expert btw but one tip I did learn along the way is keep it brief and just focus on your key skills/experience.

For the type of job your after and with all your experience, rather than posting a CV how about a concise polite letter, introducing yourself. That way you haven't got to worry about getting the correct CV format etc but can still get your point across and then you could possibly follow that up a few days later with a phone enquiry as to whether they have read your letter and any possible positions you could apply for.

Goodluck!! :)

Sorry to hear about your situation. I know how it feels when you're desperate to get out of a job though!

As others have already said, i wouldn't have thought a CV is that important, just a letter to sum up your years of experience, what you have to offer (which will be alot more than you give yourself credit for), and no bad-mouthing the company you are leaving. I'm sure that with all your experience (and you sound as though you have lots), someone will take you on quite quickly.

CT has got the resignation letter spot on :) Lucky that you only have to give 7 days notice - I have to give 8 weeks :(

Hi Boon

As ever sound advice from all the other posts.

I deal with recruiting all the time. For this sort of post the polite letter is the road in explaining you are more than happy to go in and discuss any opportunities with them. Only send a CV is you are asked for one - the day of CVs with every letter is thankfully dieing out. Many CVs with letters I get never get read. I look at the letter, is the person of interest to me, if so I'll contact them.

CTs notice letter sounds great. You probably will have an exit interview be polite as ever and remember you might end up working with people from the company again so keep the exit as bland as possible :)

Good luck mate

Allan

You're 52. Lie about your qualifications. They can't possibly check. ;)

Oh, and my letter of resignation that I wrote in November went something like:
Dear Employer,

Please go and f**k yourself.

Warmest regards,
Dave
The revised version was slightly more polite.

Hi mate, sorry to hear your not getting on there. I think everyone has covered it all. The best bet is one letter to all the other places saying exactly who you are and what your qualities are, with your amount of experience I can't see any of them not seriously considering offering you a job.

BTW Ruben Shaws is just down the road from me, very nice garden centre with very nice people, try them first. Good luck, fingers crossed.

Ps my missues is a recruitment director, if you forward your letter to me I can get her to check it over and give you a few pointers if you like. She's good with this sort of thing.

Couldn't agree more with the letter-only approach but you must have a c.v. ready to go in case you are asked. By just compiling, but not distributing, a c.v. you will gets parts of the old memory banks working again and you will be more confident answering questions that may come your way.

I've had some success with cv's in the past. Every person (4) that I've written a cv for has got a job straight away - except me!?!? on the one attempt I ever made for a job application. One chap faxed his new cv from my office in Cheltenham to Glasgow and when he returned home to Worcester he had an answerphone message telling him that a plane ticket was avaliable for collection at Manchester airport the next morning - to take him to his new job in Zagreb. I was quite proud of that one :) :clap:

As difficult as it may be, make the exit from your current job as polite and painless as possible. You will probably need a reference!!!!

Good luck.

52 years. bleeeeding youngters :shrug:

I would say a covering letter would be more important in this case than a CV. You could ask your previous workplace's manager/director if they'll be willing to give a reference for you. If they are willing, then you can indicate that on your covering letter. As for the letter style, well, pick up a bank letter and follow that. :)

Usually:

Your name
Your address
Your telephone number

To:
The Manager (or whoever) of (Garden Centre name)
Their address

<Date>

Dear sir/madam,

Application for <insert job title> position

My name is <full name> and I am writing to apply for a position as <insert job title> at your garden centre.

I have been working at <old workplace> for past 38 years as <insert previous job title>. My responsibilities were:
  • Biggest Responsibility
  • Next Biggest Responsibility
  • Next next Biggest Responsibility
  • Next next next Biggest Responsibility
  • etc, but keep this short and concise, you can keep your grandfather stories for the interview

I am certain that I am able bring my knowledge and experience to good use at your garden centre, and I look forward to working in a new and refreshing work environment.

If you require a reference, please contact <name of person>, <title held> of <old workplace> on <telephone number>.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

<Full name printed>

Pardon any grammatical errors, please help point them out. :)

I guess this will be something like a covering letter and CV all in one. You might have to write and explain a bit more if you're keen on taking on the new role of salesman rather than rose grower.

I guess I didn't really answer your request for help. :D
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Here's my CV style:

NAME IN CAPITALS

Address
Telephone​

<I usually have a personal statement here, just a short couple of sentences along the lines of "I am a <insert all the latest hip Human Resource-type words> dynamic, adaptable, keen to learn, bla. I am a <insert job title> and have a passion in <insert field of job>." This part is optional and to your personal preference. I see it as a mini-Covering Letter to sell yourself.>

Work Experience
<start with your most recent job>
19xx - 19xx Job title at company
Job description.
My main responsibilities are:​
  • Biggest Responsibility
  • Next Biggest Responsibility
  • Next next Biggest Responsibility
  • Next next next Biggest Responsibility
  • etc, but keep this short and concise, you can keep your grandfather stories for the interview

<repeat the above for your older jobs>

Education
<since you can't recall all your schools, just list your highest qualification here>
I hold <whatever qualification>.

Skills
I am skilled in:
  • Skill 1 - Proficiency (Adept, Expert, Master, or if you have proper qualification)
  • Skill 2 - Proficiency
  • Skill 3 - Proficiency
  • etc

References

Name
Job title
Address
Telephone

Short, simple, sweet. :)

However sorely you are tempted, don't do what I did and walk out telling her to stick her job where the seeds don't germinate.

I can send you a copy of my CV if you like.
Just PM if you need it.

I carried out quite a lot of research on CV writing and most of he online recruitment sites have CV templates and guides.

At 52 you shouldn't have to be talked to like an apprentice so stay strong and keep your cool.

If you do go down the CV route, keep it updated with any changes and keep it safe.
I have trouble remembering the details of the 'early' years!

The only thing to remember when writing a CV is DON'T PUT 'CV' at the top of the page.

The amount of CVs I see like that you wouldn't believe, and that's from supposedly educated people. I know it's a flippin' CV, you don't have to spell it out. You don't see 'Book' on the front of books do you!?!?!

Pah!

ok guys, Big thanks all round for the templates and to kamion for his idea's too, i mackled together a form of sorts and duly took it to two of the garden centres nearby, i have a further 3 to visit before waiting for the dreaded phone to ring (if it does). Anyhow i am applying to the hospital to work in the IT help section, sons girlfriend knows the manager there, so not quite finished yet, although i cant afford to wait too long before employment, hey i could always sell the lens.
@glen i know Ruben shaws well, and the guys there too, you never know, i just might send one there too.

@sammy, i just love your sense of humour , love reading your little quirks and sayings,, thank you.

Your most important asset is your experience, that will count for far more than you may think. No garden centre is going to be worried wether you have an 'o'level in astrophysics from 35+ years ago. What they want is steady responsible settled willing and honest.

I think if someone can show some ability to learn, get on with others, and not be afraid of hardwork when its required then I'd give them a job over someone who has all the papers up front.

Good luck with this mate. :)

Heh, I can only recommend people (I do the technical interview) its someone else's final decision.

:)

Software development, and I don't think we're recruiting ;)

Good luck - hope you find something you enjoy as well as keeping you fed and watered.

Back