Gwen Stefani? Not so much...

Name
Brittany
Edit My Images
No
Well, I had attempted to make her look like Gwen Stefani, but that didn't really work out so well. She still managed to look stunning though :p Anyways, these are just some of the shots I took with her while we were having fun being girls :LOL:
I was trying out different editing methods and thought I'd post some to see what you guys had to say :) All opinions are welcome :help:

1. Cinderella
Escapewm.jpg

2. Speak Low
SpeakLowwm.jpg

3. Temptress
Temptresswm.jpg

4. Goodbye Stranger
GoodbyeStrangerwm.jpg

5. Vision
Visionwm.jpg

Model: Kaeri
Makeup/Photography/Editing: Me

What a great set! I love 3 & 5 the most. You both must be chuffed to bits with those ;)

got to agree with the above^^^ but i really like all of them.

Number 5 for me. Just love the way the light is falling on her face.

1st & 5th for me but a great set overall (I love the tones in 1,2 & 5, very nice, subtle feeling to them.)
If I was being really picky, I think that there is a tiny bit too much of a yellow cast to the 3rd shot - but to be honest, that may just be because the images surrounding it are quite muted tones :shrug:
Well done, you must be very pleased with those (y)

#1 for me
not to say the others aren't good
just #1 hits the spot - excellent pic (y)

No1 for me too, those eyes!!! stunning :love:

Great shots, nice processing.
Wish i had friends like that:naughty:
Dean:)

I agree! stunning set of pics! really really well done! (y)

They definately have the Gwen Stefani look! the eyes in 1 are really captivating.

Diffenately #5, great shot.

Number 3 would be great too but the frizzy hair is ruining it for me. :cautious:

The facial expression in number one is a little awkward for me, she looks like somebody is pushing her cheeks together and it doesn't flatter her.

It looks like the key light in number two was coming from up high and as a result her (camera) left eye is a little more shadowed than her (camera) right, making the eyes pop less than they perhaps could have with a little bit of fill light - this could have been supplied by a reflector placed underneath her just out of frame.

I love number three, the cross processed look really works for me, as does the composition, framing and pose. The flyaway hairs are a little off putting, so perhaps watch for that next time (or get a stylist to look out for them so you don't have to ;)).

The lines in number four put me on edge...there's something about them which doesn't quite sit right with me, however the selective saturation to emphasise the red lipstick does compound the Gwen Stefani style you were going for.

The light in number 5 is great, I love the hotspot on the wall behind her. I'm not so keen on the pose, I don't know what she's meant to be doing really.

Overall a very nice collection with a strong theme and consistant delivery of good light, good makeup and interesting composition and angles.

Thank you! I really appreciate your opinions, they really do help me out and make me more aware of what I'm doing while shooting. As for having a stylist, haha usually Kaeri IS my stylist/assistant. I'm wishing I had had someone else there helping out now though, perhaps then I could have gotten more out of these shots :)

I guess that makes it kinda tricky for you and her then if she is normally your stylist!
You don't need somebody else helping you out to make more from the shots, you just need to be a little bit more viglant when shooting.
I find that when I'm looking through the lens I miss things that I only see when I look at the print, so now what I do is study the scene before I put the camera to my eye. It takes longer and isn't so practical in a time dependent shoot, but it does ensure that I see things like flyaway hair and shadows that I would perhaps overlook when concentrating on whether my exposure is correct or where I'm focussing.

#1 is very arresting. #3 would be best but I am not sure I can live with the cast (processing) and the lack of catch light.

Pretty girl and great shots though! (y)

Haha i knew someone was going to comment on her nose :p I tried to de-emphasize it a bit in my post processing but, I ended up giving up on that and just wished I had taken the shot better and been more aware of my lighting :thumbsdown:

I love the style, can you talk us through your processing?

Well my editing was done somewhat different each of these pictures and all in Photoshop CS. The routine that I started every single one of those photos with though (after I go through the Camera Raw stuff) usually starts with me adjusting the levels until I like the darkness and lightness, then I do the curves and tweek that a bit too. Um, after that I'll normally add a touch more contrast and then I'll do the colours and if there is a certain colour cast that I notice, I'll try to lessen that. An example sometimes is when I think the skin is too red or pink, and if it's still no good after that (without hurting the colours of the rest of the photo) I'll go to Selective colour and adjust that a bit more.

The last thing that all of these pictures have in common, is the skin clearing I've done. Normally I start by using the patch tool and eliminating the really obvious blemishes and bumps. Then I make a new layer (hold the shift and alt key as I push the new layer button, for windows) and I then click "use previous layer to create clipping mask" on the box that pops up. Then I use my brush tool usually a pretty big size and 0 hardness, set it to about 20-25 opacity and click all over the skin, just to even out the tone and once I'm done with that I lower the opacity a bit more of that layer just so that it's not INSANELY obvious (even though it probably still is :p).

Other than that all my editing varies. For #3 I played with the colour curves a bit. For #4 I used a layer mask and desaturated the background. And for the last picture I actually just used the Auto Levels, Auto Colour and Auto Contrast and added a vignette. I usually use the dodge tool set to highlights a little to add an extra shine to lips and eyes.

I really hope that explains a lot :)

Back