GWR 2-8-0T 4270

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
GWR 2-8-0T 4270 coming out of Greet tunnel (Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway) on 22/03/2016

GWR 2-8-0 4270.jpg

like the shot and raked angle of the train a lot, although the whole entrance to the tunnel in the background would have given the eye somewhere to finish I think...............post processing imo absolutely awful but then I don't like hdr styleee anyway, but then again thankfully we all like different things

I do like the picture, possibly a bit tight in the frame and I would like to see a bit more of the sky where the smoke is rising. However I am not a fan of the processing, the reds on the buffer beam look washed out as do the greens on the tank sides and the foliage..

Thanks both for taking the time to look and comment.

Classic forward angle on the engine and train, I agree with @huffy that it's framed very tight all around and would have benefitted from a little more breathing space on every edge. Particularly as @black5 pointed out on the right-hand side where the rake/tunnel mouth isn't given enough space to reach a natural conclusion.

The processing is also not my cup-of-tea. Very aggressively grunge, and the result is killing the depth/dimensionality of the scene. It's left very flat without the feeling of the train receding back into the frame - the tight crop isn't helping with this either. Processing's a personal thing though, I've a good friend that would be all over this style of shot.

I took other photos that include the tunnel mouth, and others that include more steam. Overall I preferred this one that filled the frame with engine and wagons. By this point it had to be landscape and the 'crop' is the full frame as taken at 24mm.
Fully agree with you all that that it's not got enough space to the left. So will try and remember to allow more space for the train to move into if I try photographing one again in the future.
'Washed out' is what I was aiming for so it's good to know that someone highlighted that even though it's not to their taste. The train in it's 'natural' colour looked fairly hideous to me.

Again, thanks for all your comments

Back