GX8 OR E-M5-11 with the 100-400

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
The Panasonic 100-400 is a definite,its the body ime struggling with in relation to stabilisation,the GX8 has 4 axis built in but can be used in conjunction with the lens,the E-M5-11 has 5 axis but i would have to choose between using the body or lens stabilisation, i need the most help i can get and cant work out which would give me the best.

Mike

Buy whichever camera you prefer, the in lens stabilisation is good enough not to worry about dual IS (and is better than IBIS at this focal length), here's a post I put up on DP review:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57647336

The only thing that would concern me about the EM5ii is lack of grip but then you can always add one, I hear shutter shock is bad on the GX8 which would concern me a little (and frankly I think its fugly)...

Last edited:
I'm a GX8 user and have only seen what I think is shutter shock once in thousands upon thousands of photos taken. I'm not saying it isn't there, but for what and how I shoot and the lenses I have, it is just a non issue.

With the GX8 you'll be able to use Panasonic's DFD focusing system that should give you quicker and more accurate in AF-S and AF-C focusing modes. I imagine that would be extremely important for wildlife applications.

Simon.

I'm a GX8 user and have only seen what I think is shutter shock once in thousands upon thousands of photos taken. I'm not saying it isn't there, but for what and how I shoot and the lenses I have, it is just a non issue.

With the GX8 you'll be able to use Panasonic's DFD focusing system that should give you quicker and more accurate in AF-S and AF-C focusing modes. I imagine that would be extremely important for wildlife applications.

Simon.

And to be fair other cameras also suffer shutter shock and its unlikely to happen at this focal length / shutter speeds.

From all the reviews and testing I've read, the phase detect AF on the Oly EM1 works better than the DFD for tracking subjects, certainly on my EM1 the tracking is as good as I've seen with any lens on any mirrorless system (I was tracking stunt horses in an arena and basically every shot was in focus at 9fps). In SAF the focussing is instant and more than quick enough.

The EM5ii might be a different matter as it doesn't have phase detect but a recent review on Steve Huff's website suggests that focus and tracking is fine with that camera too (at some point I'll try this lens on mine...).

I guess it depends on what you're shooting but I think a more sensible comparison here is the EM1 vs. GX8 as they are both the 'top of the range' models with 'best af' designed for shooting moving subjects and are more comparable size and feature wise too.

In the end, I wouldn't let AF nor stabilisation make the decision here as unless your technique at 800mm is amazing that will certainly be the limiting factor here. Choose based on form factor and other features.

And to be fair other cameras also suffer shutter shock and its unlikely to happen at this focal length / shutter speeds.

From all the reviews and testing I've read, the phase detect AF on the Oly EM1 works better than the DFD for tracking subjects, certainly on my EM1 the tracking is as good as I've seen with any lens on any mirrorless system (I was tracking stunt horses in an arena and basically every shot was in focus at 9fps). In SAF the focussing is instant and more than quick enough.

The EM5ii might be a different matter as it doesn't have phase detect but a recent review on Steve Huff's website suggests that focus and tracking is fine with that camera too (at some point I'll try this lens on mine...).

I guess it depends on what you're shooting but I think a more sensible comparison here is the EM1 vs. GX8 as they are both the 'top of the range' models with 'best af' designed for shooting moving subjects and are more comparable size and feature wise too.

In the end, I wouldn't let AF nor stabilisation make the decision here as unless your technique at 800mm is amazing that will certainly be the limiting factor here. Choose based on form factor and other features.

Couldn't agree more Ned :)

Thanks for the input every one,i am leaning towards the GX8 i feel the fix for shutter shock (electronic shutter at certain speeds) will be ok for me and was kinda hoping that no one would say the ibis would make the EM-5mk11 the better choice,i like the fugly:D shape of the Panasonic.

I had a quick go on my EM5ii this afternoon:

SAF is the same as the EM1 but I had not moving targets to try CAF with.
Lens OIS works better than IBIS
Handling is much nicer with the EM1, the grip really helps stabilise the lens in the hand and would improve long term comfort, the EM5ii is fine for a little while but if you were going to use it all day the extra grip would definitely be on my list.

Buy whichever camera you prefer, the in lens stabilisation is good enough not to worry about dual IS (and is better than IBIS at this focal length), here's a post I put up on DP review:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57647336

The only thing that would concern me about the EM5ii is lack of grip but then you can always add one, I hear shutter shock is bad on the GX8 which would concern me a little (and frankly I think its fugly)...

Just been through the thread,very interesting and great info,it looks like its the GX8 for me,just need the lens to become available but going to get the camera while its got the £100 cash back,any one know if it is cash or a card to spend loaded with the credit like Nikons so called cash back.

Last edited:
Just been through the thread,very interesting and great info,it looks like its the GX8 for me,just need the lens to become available but going to get the camera while its got the £100 cash back,any one know if it is cash or a card to spend loaded with the credit like Nikons so called cash back.

Is this Panasonic cash back? If it is... they just sent me a cheque for £100 :D Yup. An actual cheque not a card with credit on it :D

PS.
You have to remember to claim it though but you can select an option for Panasonic to send you a reminder email, that's what I did.

Last edited:
Back