Had a crack at street photography

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I normally take architecture and landscape images, subjects that do not move or have a possibility of interaction with. However, whilst in London, I thought I would use the feeling of anonymity to be a bit braver. As colour normally plays a big part of my images I also decided to go monochrome.

Not sure I like the tubas player and may conduct some more work on the shadows and highlights. I am kind of please with the tube image, maybe a slightly better crop would have been better but I rushed to get the train head on.

47405314002_7b7bfcbbdd_k.jpg
46735502554_6e47007ccf_k.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots, Jonothan. The framing in the train shot is spot in IMO, as it enhances the feeling of rushing speed as the train hurtles down the rail past the platform, filling the frame before most people could get their camera focused.

That tuba player usually has flames and smoke coming from the top of his tuba. Did you decide not to catch those, or was he having an off day? The HDR treatment isn't bad, but there's visible haloing. If you can bring detail out of the shadows without affecting the other tonal ranges, you can make an image where there's more to look at without affecting the importance of the subject.

By the way, I see what you did there: tube, tuba.

Great shots, Jonothan.

The HDR treatment isn't bad, but there's visible haloing. If you can bring detail out of the shadows without affecting the other tonal ranges, you can make an image where there's more to look at without affecting the importance of the subject.

Thank you for the positive and constructive comments.

I removed the flames from the tuba player, as lost context in mono and I wanted mono to give a more aged feeling. He was good fun to watch, the kids thought it was great. The halo appears on the colour image prior to conversion, so I need to play around with it but agree with your comment.

tuba.jpg

For me, that last one really brings the subject alive. Some subjects just seem to work better in colour. And you caught him at exactly the right time with just one puff of flame! Excellent!

Thank you, maybe I will try and improve this one then, as I feel detail not fully pulled out of the lowlights/mid-tones. I was in the use mono-mode mode!

Had a play with the mono and the haloing.

tuba.jpg

Liking that tube platform shot ... portrait orientation works a treat.

Last edited:
It's a nice picture of the tuba bloke, but I think it's a shame to lose the flame, partly because it adds interest to the photo (even in mono), but also because removing a major picture element in post isn't perhaps in the spirit of what many people see as 'street' phorography where (as with reportage) there's something of an expectation you are showing us the scene as it really was. But of course - your work, your rules.

I love the train shot. Very well timed and the platform makes an excellent lead line.

Les :)

It's a nice picture of the tuba bloke, but I think it's a shame to lose the flame, partly because it adds interest to the photo (even in mono), but also because removing a major picture element in post isn't perhaps in the spirit of what many people see as 'street' phorography where (as with reportage) there's something of an expectation you are showing us the scene as it really was. But of course - your work, your rules.
Never looked at it like that, thanks for the insight.

Really like the train image , How on earth did you get a station with one person on the platform , Normally 100's deep , The gent in the photo with the cap is great , It could almost be from the 60's bar the mobile phone poster on the wall

Not keen on the tuba player at all :(

Really like the train image , How on earth did you get a station with one person on the platform

Thank you. It was bit of luck and rushed framing, as there was a few people milling around. I just managed to get the crop right and before people started to move towards the incoming train.

Not keen on the tuba player at all :(
Thats fine, still not sure myself and we all have different tastes.

Like most of the comments I’d have to say I really like the tube image - it’s a strong shot with that feeling of movement and I’d vote against cropping it at all.

For the tuba guy I’m going with the colour image. Without the flame it’s just a photo of a guy blowing down a pipe, with very little around him to convey any sense of setting - but with the flame added it transforms into an interesting portrait shot, and the chap can hold our attention just on his own.

Nice work.

Love the shots, especially the tube train. Could you tell a beginner what camera settings you used, please??

Love the shots, especially the tube train. Could you tell a beginner what camera settings you used, please??
Thanks. Would have to look at exif to see the settings but generally, with the LX100, I have set the ISO limit to what is acceptable for me and shoot in aperture mode, unless shutter speed is an important factor.

Back