Had ago at low light car park shots.

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Always been a big fall down for me, never really been able to hold the camera right.
DSC_7035.jpg

dsc_6969.JPG

DSC_7056.jpg

I'm looking forward to the 12th, Total Vauxhall are coming to do a feature on the red one. So it'll be interesting to watch the professionals at work.

Last one is probably the best, although the subject isnt really my cup o tea.

x2 from me..

Wouldn't a McDonalds carpark be a more suitable setting for such cars?

Not that I am saying Travel Inn is *that* much more classy but... :LOL:

I like cars, but these aren't to my taste, but that doesn't matter as its technique etc that we're supposed to be looking at.

Try some darker car parks with less artificial lighting and see what results you get. I shot some pics of my car in my back garden with just moonlight. Was a 30 sec exposure mind.

The last picture is the best out of these in my opinion but the thing that does jump out at me is the difference of colour from the bonnet to the wing. Has it been resprayed? Artificial lighting can really make slight colour differences stand out alot more.

I like cars, but these aren't to my taste, but that doesn't matter as its technique etc that we're supposed to be looking at.

Try some darker car parks with less artificial lighting and see what results you get. I shot some pics of my car in my back garden with just moonlight. Was a 30 sec exposure mind.

The last picture is the best out of these in my opinion but the thing that does jump out at me is the difference of colour from the bonnet to the wing. Has it been resprayed? Artificial lighting can really make slight colour differences stand out alot more.

I'll try get out with the camera, i rarely get a chance these days :( I was quite happy with these shots cause it was low light and hand held, which is somethign i really struggle with when out with the camera(need stronger arms i think)

Bonnet is silver due to a little bump the gf had about a year ago. Just got round to putting a fresh bumper on.

Are you suggesting a vectra v6 is a chavs car? lol How many chavs can afford the fuel?
ah well.

Didn't realise that they were handheld photos. Pretty good going

Didn't realise that they were handheld photos. Pretty good going

Cheers fella. Getting there, i think the D50 isn't suited to dark situations. Its failed by the iso noise really. Where you want to be using ISO800 its bad!

x2 from me..

Not that I am saying Travel Inn is *that* much more classy but... :LOL:

Gosh, why don't you just call the poster a scummy little chav and be done with it. :eek:

The first and third seem to work more than the middle shot. They don't quite sparkle do they but it sounds like you're making progress in the quest for your ideal car shot. Perhaps you could try a location where you get more lights reflecting in the cars as this always shows the contours off well.

Gosh, why don't you just call the poster a scummy little chav and be done with it. :eek:

The first and third seem to work more than the middle shot. They don't quite sparkle do they but it sounds like you're making progress in the quest for your ideal car shot. Perhaps you could try a location where you get more lights reflecting in the cars as this always shows the contours off well.

I've been told Heysham docks is a good place for good light at night. So I'm going to try and get down therw with some good shots. 'hopefully' lol

BTW i did feel abit scummy ;)

Cheers fella. Getting there, i think the D50 isn't suited to dark situations. Its failed by the iso noise really. Where you want to be using ISO800 its bad!

if you are taking a shot of something thats not moving, then set the ISO to 100, put your camera on something sturdy, use the timer (or a remote) so as not to jog the camera, and away you go! Doesnt even matter if the exposure is 20 secs if the camera or the shot doesnt move.
but let the camera rest between shots or the sensor can over heat.

Cheers for that tip badger.
Cause the shots i wanted were low down, i couldn't use the tripod i'd taken out with me, and stupid me left my joby at home.
Do you get extra noise on long exposure too?

Noise is fine at ISO100. Only when at ISO 800 does it become apparant.

I've taken some where they are even too dark at 30 secs with ISO100.

This was shot for 30 secs at ISO 1600 (IIRC), but I could hardly see the car in my back garden:

IMG_0910.jpg

Now thats impressive! What camera are you using?

That was a 400D, with either the kit lens or a 28-105 f 3.5 lens, so should be the equivalent of your D50.

Get used to using your tripod for these shots. The longer you can make the shot by using a lower ISO the better the quality.

It is better to use some more light though. This other pic was taken at 15 secs, ISO100, f/3.5 on the standard lens, with no white balance correction. There are just 2 small lights on my house. I'll stop hijacking the thread with pics, so here's just the link.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2129423282_84daf59a84.jpg

Pics are quite welcome 30psi!

Kosta, cheers fella!

As said tripod mate....unless you have seriously steady hands, for low light use a tripod and timer.

Iain

Mirror lock? Thats something new to me?

Mirror lock up is where you flip up the mirror and then choose when to fire the shutter. The idea being that when the mirror goes up it can disturb the camera, so shots made with the mirror already flipped up should be sharper.

It makes some difference with a 35mm style camera and loads of you have a medium format camera with a massive mirror.

There is a mirror thats sits at 45 deg behind the lens that directs the light via a periscope through to your viewfinder. When you want to take a picture, the mirror lifts up out of the way so the light is then focused on the sensor or film. The viewfinder therefore goes black.

Meanwhile some lightweight curtains reveal the sensor or the film for the required time to expose the shot.

Unfortunately the movement of the mirror can cause the camera to shake slightly and this will be most noticeable on long zoom.

The mirror lock lifts the mirror out of the way and then you can either release the curtains when you want or have it on a timer.

On the 400d it lifts the mirror (it sounds like its taken the shot) then 2 seconds later it will open the curtains and this will be a faint click, when set to the timer. If its not on the timer then the first time I press the shutter button, it lifts the mirror and the 2nd time it opens the curtains.

HA! YES!!

Got my answer in first..... finally. :D:LOL::nuts:

I'm not sure the D50 has that option?

nicely exposed and good positioning of the cars just the background isn't the best..

Back