Hadrian's Wall Balloons - tips please

If you pull it off you'll get some cracking shots. Would love to go there myself.
If you're going at night the number 1 thing you'll want is a tripod or something to rest your camera on and put it on timer. It's a matter of experimenting really so take a load, costs nothing !

I'd use the 18-55 as wide is going to work best, keeping it at the highest aperture of f3.5 (I think on that lens) will allow in most light for the time the shutter is open. You can easily lower the aperture but it'll increase your shutter time. Adjust the shutter speed to suit the image.

Keep the iso lowish to avoid any grain, 200-400 will be fine. It doesn't matter much as long as you have tripod/something solid to put the camera on. The lower the iso the more the shutter will have to be open to get a exposed shot so you may end up with some nice star trails or cloud movement.

If you want some more sharpness to the shot with more crisp focus on objects near and far bump the the aperture to f8/f11 or there abouts, but be prepared to use shutter speed into the minutes :D

Don't forget to post up your shots :)

Last edited:
Hi James, thanks for your comments.

As it turned out I didn't get to the balloons, I was planning to go on Friday but couldn't make it in the end. Did a bit of walking along the Wall on Saturday, the guys who were there to set up the lights said they'd had lots of problems because of the high winds.

We finished the walk late afternoon and we were so tired we just went home. I've settled for some shots of the Robin Hood tree instead

Back