Hair on rear element or sensor, what should i do?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Been playing with my new lens, and noticed a small hair that is more visible when the aperture is stopped down (photos added at the bottom).
I've cleaned the front element of the lens a bit, and will do more tomorrow in better light. Looking at the images though, i get the feeling it is between the camera and the rear element.
Should I just puff the rear element with a rocket air blower then re-attach, see if the hair is gone, if not puff the inside of the body and see if it goes? I can also see a couple of spots on the sensor, would puffing some air in fix this, or is it worth getting it cleaned (or leave it for a while as it isn't too noticeable)
Never had to do this before so wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing!

Here are the pics (was just a quick experiment with the macro!) the hair is near the bottom left,

1: f/4 iso100
DSC_6811.jpg

2. f/25 iso 800
DSC_6817.jpg

Last edited:
First off, it's nothing to get too worried about, a good sensor clean should take care of it. If you're not confident, cleaning the sensor, get it done professionally. It's not a difficult task, but not one, I would recommend unless you are confident in what you are doing. If lucky, a quick blow with a rocket blower, may solve the problem.

What ever you try DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE SENSOR WITH A COTTON BUD, you will make things 1000 times worse
Use a rocket blower- Artic butterfly or swabs.

Take off the lens hold up to the light and do a mirror lockup and see if the hair is still there through the view finder or put on another lens. That will show if the hair is on the sensor or not. or you could try a camera self clean if it is in the camera menu

Last edited:
Somewhere in your camera's manual (almost certainly available on the web if you don't have a printed version) there will be advice on how to lock the mirror up for sensor cleaning rather than for reducing noise/vibration when taking photos. Make sure you use the cleaning mirror up not the shooting one! A couple of blasts from a rocket blower in the least dusty room of the house (a bathroom is often the best choice as long as you and family don't use talc in there) should clear the hair.

:plus1:

For a quick blast with a rocket blower. I'd guess that's on your sensor not the lens.

Don't forget that it won't be in the same place on the sensor as it is in the photo.

Few puffs with the rocket blower on the sensor with the mirror locked up in cleaning mode will more than likely clear it.

Thanks everyone!
Are the other spots not worth worrying about at the moment then?
The Rocket blower is coming wednesday so i will give it a go then, and post a before and after here. Hoping for the best!

If the rocket doen't work on the four spots you will probably need to clean the sensor, but you can probably live with it as it is - just use the spot healing tool in PP.
Loads of tutorials on youtube. It's cheaper to do it your self and the sensor is tougher than you think (normally!) :)

Last edited:
Happened to me, rocket blower didn't sort it but just got my little cleaning brush on it to fish it out :).

Back