Review Hama Rucksack review!

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hama 'Track Pack' Camera rucksack Well ive been wanting a new rucksack for the 300d since i got it, Vince(mypix) kindly sent me a larger bag to tide me over, but i found it too heavy for lugging around so decided that that could remain my kit bag, a new travel bag was required!

hama_rucksack_1.jpg

7dayshop are selling this bag for £17.99, £21 with postage...it would have been rude for me to turn it down!

hama_rucksack_2.jpg

hama_rucksack_3.jpg

Construction
The bag itself is 330x180x360mm externally and 300x150x330 internally, made of the highest quality Polytex...whatever that is, inside the padded exterior we have compartments and dividers velcrod into place to allow variable size pockets for the bits and pieces, and 1 strap to hold your camera in place(even though it shows 2 on the piccy on the card)
Also the bag has a large zipped puch inside and outside the front flap, for keeping whatever you keep in them in i suppose.
hama_rucksack_4.jpg

Use
First thing to do then is load the bag up, i have the following kit
300D
battery Grip
4 batteries
70 - 300 sigma APO super macro
18 - 55 kit lens
Tiffen Filters pouch
lost of odds and sods
hama_rucksack_5.jpg

All this fitted comfortably into the bag, the big lens fits better attatched to the camera, but you can put a dividing padded thing between the lens and the camera if you wanted to get the kit lens on the camera instead, it will just fit

hama_rucksack_6.jpg

Practical Use
First days practical use was brands hatch, wife and kids in tow, but as i had the backpack, i had both hands free, and didnt have the bag slipping off my shoulder and dooshing the kids in the head, so 1 point to the bag straight away, it also stopped the annoying people trying to go past me at the ticket office, as i was taking up the whole gangway with my bag on my back. 2 points!Weight was never a problem, i had my hands free to hold the kids, the lunchbox, the camera and even eat food whilst we walked about, getting the camera back in the bag required me to actually take it off and stop, but that wasnt a huge issues, and when we stopped to shoot stuff it was fine to take it off to get the camera out.

hama_rucksack_7.jpg

Conculsions
All in all, for £20 this is a bargain, if your going to be carrying about loads of gear it will only hold so much, but if your a hobbyist like me then this bag is ideal. Dont spend hundreds if you dont need to, this is ideal, and with a 3 year guarantee, it will last too.

I'll add a second thumbs up from me for this bag. Was 17.99 from 7dayshop when I bought it. The only thing Im disappointed with, is the lack of a tripod strap.

Very good bag for the money IMO.

I have one of these as well. It's getting full now.
Contains 10D
28-135 IS
17-40 L
50 mkII
550 Ex Flash
2x Cokin Filters
Cleaning stuff, Batteries and manuals

I have to carry my 100-400 l IS in it's shoulder case.

For the money very good value.

Hmmm I need a rucksack of some description. I'd like to keep it on the small side and try to anticipate what I need to carry. This one looks like a bargain. :)

I have a cheap rucksack that's reasonable enough but doing urban shots this week and changing the lens every two minutes was a real pain in the butt.

I'm strongly considering a photographers vest with the decent size pockets in it so I'm not constantly unzipping a rucksack on the floor in the middle of the street.

Bachs said:
I'm strongly considering a photographers vest with the decent size pockets in it so I'm not constantly unzipping a rucksack on the floor in the middle of the street.
If you find a good one please point me in the right direction. I have an old shooting /skeet vest which I press into this role sometimes and the pockets are handy but nowhere near as roomy as the proper vests. :thumb:

Very reasonable. I think I prefer the Safari vest. Thanks. :thumb:

I would go for the lowepro street and field vest harness over a vest.
Reasons being the vest will flop about when walking round and won't necasserily be comfortable.
The lowepro vest harness can be adjusted to your frame to minimise movement, you can also add to it depending on what kit you wish to carry.

LINKY

Now you have definitely sold me on that Matt!

Could you see a price anywhere for it?
I just followed the 'where to buy' link andgot the usual Photo Factory and Jessops.

Jessops will be 'Sorry Sir, we don't have that item in stock at the moment but we can place an order for you if you don't mind waiting 2 years'

wow... I just bought one (couldn't find any reviews, bought it because it was cheap, and then when I saw this I was crossing my fingers hoping it would be ok).

Luckily, it looks good.

Can't wait until it arrives :D

Leo

Mine arrived today - £11.50 from ebay. bargain. :)

Marcel said:
The only thing Im disappointed with, is the lack of a tripod strap.

There are a couple of small loops at the bottom. I'm currently trying to come up with a method of hooking the tripod on. Using bungees atm but that's less than ideal.

Thinking a couple of carabiners may do the trick.

You can buy velcro tape and make your own loops?

A member I know on anotehr forum used carabiners to attach his. Can't remember how though.

I managed by wrapping the waist strap around the top handle, and hooking the tripod handle over the excess, to secure the top half of the tripod, then using a bungee strap around the bottom half (Going round the bag completely).

Or before that I used the chest strap, attached to the bottom of the shoulder straps, going round the bag and the tripod. (Makes sense if you saw it..lol)

Back