Handheld Studio Spotlight

So what you're looking for is a focussing spot?
I'm a bit perplexed by the "handheld balanced" reference - these are precise lighting tools that need to be positioned very accurately, so they are normally fixed to a sturdy light stand.

Once we know more about your needs, we may be able to help.

So what you're looking for is a focussing spot?
I'm a bit perplexed by the "handheld balanced" reference - these are precise lighting tools that need to be positioned very accurately, so they are normally fixed to a sturdy light stand.

Once we know more about your needs, we may be able to help.

Hi Garry. OK, I probably didn't explain this too well. What I'm after is effectively something like this Lowel:

https://www.lightingrumours.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/lowel-gl1.png

but mains powered instead of battery. I just need a simple focused, light and handheld 56k continuous light source that I can adjust the beam from normal to tight spot beam. Does that make sense?

So, you want a continuous light, not a modifier that fits to a studio flash?
If so, then I don't have any direct experience, as this is something that belongs to movie world.

So, you want a continuous light, not a modifier that fits to a studio flash?
If so, then I don't have any direct experience, as this is something that belongs to movie world.

Exactly. TBH, a torch with adjustable beam and 65k light would do the trick. Nothing complicated, just something that I can easily hold in one hand and aim at a specific part of the subject. Power output in excess of 40w preferably but this will be to use with small product photography so doesn't need to be overly powerful.

In the studio I'll already have some robust lighting from either side, often using Lencarta LED 1000 lights and strip softboxes. Another from overhead may or may not be implemented. Reflectors and diffusers will be coming out of every orifice but sometimes there's just a small area I'd like to insert some light from above or the side and rather than have to set up yet another light and stand etc.. I'd like to have a small spot beam that may help me in those situations.

I think these kind of lights are more common in the video world and there may well be a name for them that I'm not aware of. :)

Last edited:
Ahh... Well in that case, your ideal would seem to be an S-fit focussing spot adapter, designed for flash but which will work fine with your Lencarta LED1000. @sk66 has one, and he can tell you about it.
Now discontinued, but I think that Lencarta may still have one, so probably worth giving them a ring.

Ahh... Well in that case, your ideal would seem to be an S-fit focussing spot adapter, designed for flash but which will work fine with your Lencarta LED1000. @sk66 has one, and he can tell you about it.
Now discontinued, but I think that Lencarta may still have one, so probably worth giving them a ring.

Yes, see what you mean Garry but I wanted something to use handheld, as opposed to adapting the Lencartas which will probably already be in use.

Exactly what kind of products are we talking about? I suspect you're going to have a hard time finding something that will focus tight enough... and you said you want daylight balanced with your LED setup? How color accurate are your LED lights, and how accurate do they need to be?

Off-hand, it sounds to me like you might be best off getting a slave bulb holder and the biggest 5000k par38 LED spot you can source. Put a stick in the bulb holder and it's a pistol grip. Mains power and more output than the Lowel... You'll probably still need to hack together snoots or a projector lens/gobo to get it small enough.

Exactly what kind of products are we talking about? I suspect you're going to have a hard time finding something that will focus tight enough... and you said you want daylight balanced with your LED setup? How color accurate are your LED lights, and how accurate do they need to be?

Off-hand, it sounds to me like you might be best off getting a slave bulb holder and the biggest 5000k par38 LED spot you can source. Put a stick in the bulb holder and it's a pistol grip. Mains power and more output than the Lowel... You'll probably still need to hack together snoots or a projector lens/gobo to get it small enough.

Steven, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Needn't be balanced actually, as long as it's clean 5600k light that should be fine.

Back