Hanging out!

Edit My Images
Yes
The `let it hang out and dry thread in photo sharing reminded me of this!

moles.jpg

LOL Moleskin socks being the connection?

There were hundreds of them!, it was like driving through the set of "Deliverance" up in the Dales!

"What you wanna go to Aintree fer?" :LOL:

how very odd!

Awwww... I was trying to work out what on earth they were - thanks for the enlightenment CT.

I can remember camping in France and moles surfacing under the tent. Annoying little things to say the least :)

i wonder if they're there to warn their little friends not to dig any more holes?! :p

Not having a go at you Praxis.

But, I think its shocking, killing them just for the sake of it.

Their excuse would probably have something to do with their livestock falling down the holes these little animals make.

And to hang them on a barbed wire fench adds to the problem.
A bird could attempt to take these and get caught in the fencing, causing more un-necessary death.

If they were pet cats, it would cause uproar.

Matt said:
*snip*

If they were I'd get photobox to print it A3 , I hate the feline killing machines....

Gross ! :puke:

Judging by the number of 'hills the other side of the fence ... the deterrent ain't working !?! :thinking:

Controversial thread Praxis ... nice one ... (y)

:p

Matt said:
Not having a go at you Praxis.

But, I think its shocking, killing them just for the sake of it.

Farmers do not catch/kill moles just for the sake of it Matt..

Matt said:
Their excuse would probably have something to do with their livestock falling down the holes these little animals make.

No mate. Their excuse is the little buggers can ruin acres of land including crops which farmers depend on for their livelihood.
Its no worse than shooting wood-pigeon thats eating the corn from the field, I have shot thousands (and so will CT I bet);) Have you eaten pigeon pie, Most peeps have.:) No different to eating beef or pork.

Matt said:
And to hang them on a barbed wire fence adds to the problem.
A bird could attempt to take these and get caught in the fencing, causing more un-necessary death.

Hanging them out on a fence is no worse than the big game hunter hanging their spoils on a wall on its plaque, How many pubs around the UK have you seen with the spoils hung up, I have seen hundreds..;)
Also I have never seen a bird/magpie or anything take dead moles from a fence

Matt said:

Cats aren't a pest Matt, If they were they would and do get shot in the countryside.;)

Again Matt I am not here to rain on your parade or to cause any trouble but people from the cities do not know the way of the countryside..:(
Just take a look at the hunting ban, Humans have been hunting since the stone age and just because certain pompous do goodies in Parliament have a bit of clout they ban it..:annoyed:

Take fox hunting, I have nothing against foxes like the rest of you. What I take offense at is the bloody fox will kill 8 or 10 lambs in one night and doesn't even eat them..:| If they were killing to survive its a different matter, They just rip the throats out of the lambs and leave them dead.
All the anti hunting brigade should take a look over the fence before they start waving their fingers..:bang:

I have lived on a farm all my life and still do, but don't comment on city life because thats the way it is..(y)

I have made my point, I hope I haven't offended anyone, If I have please come to my house for a week (free accommodation too)
I will let you see the mess/spoils of both the mole and the fox./Rant over.:D

Hmmm, I'm fortunate to have experienced both sides of life, city and country. I can see no problem with shooting moles, pigeons, badgers or anything that is a pest to farmers. I agree that TB in cattle, dead livestock etc. is bad for a community that is already struggling in the face of massive EU subsidies and competition from more efficient farmers abroad, alongside contamination from chernobyl and mad cow disease brought about by feeding their livestock the rendered remains of their own kind . Would you like to explain to me exactly why my taxes have to go towards subsidising a farmer based on policies created post WWII to even competition in the EU?

What I do disagree with is hunting by horse, which is basically just sport for the riders. Nobody can justify that on the basis of protecting livestock as the kill frequency is just not high enough to have an impact on the fox population. The same with Badger baiting and hare coursing. The league against cruel sports isn't named so just for a laugh or media impact.

If the majority of the farming community actually got off their arses, diversified etc and did something about their plight instead of sitting arond moaning that their subsidies are late then they might just stand a chance. It's a business like everything else and you don't see the local baker getting money from the EU cos the local supermarket is destroying his business.

Sorry BB, this isn't directed at you, far from it. Just coming from a rural up-bringing, part of which was spent on a farm it's something I feel very strongly about.

/rant mode: DEFINATELY off:

Gandhi said:
Hmmm, I'm fortunate to have experienced both sides of life, city and country. I can see no problem with shooting moles, pigeons, badgers or anything that is a pest to farmers. I agree that TB in cattle, dead livestock etc. is bad for a community that is already struggling in the face of massive EU subsidies and competition from more efficient farmers abroad, alongside contamination from chernobyl and mad cow disease brought about by feeding their livestock the rendered remains of their own kind . Would you like to explain to me exactly why my taxes have to go towards subsidising a farmer based on policies created post WWII to even competition in the EU?

So far so good. We both agree here..;)

Gandhi said:
What I do disagree with is hunting by horse, which is basically just sport for the riders.

Again I can agree with you (although this practice has taken place longer than both you and me have lived)

Gandhi said:
If the majority of the farming community actually got off their arses, diversified etc and did something about their plight instead of sitting arond moaning that their subsidies are late then they might just stand a chance.

Sorry mate you stepped right over the line there,:nono:
You call "quote" got of their arses believe me I speak for quite a lot here, farmers get of their arses 7 days a week 365 days a year making ends meet working their b****x off for very little, Take it from me I know..;)

Gandhi said:
It's a business like everything else and you don't see the local baker getting money from the EU cos the local supermarket is destroying his business.

No... what you do see is the local baker shutting down because they can't compete with the major supermarkets just like the corner shops are.:(
Take a look around the countryside too, A hell of a lot of farms are being sold because they cannot carry on with the present funding/subsidies and help from the goverment.:shake: These are farms that have worked for hundreds of years mate just like the corner shops and bakers you talk about. Sad but true..:bang:

Gandhi said:
Sorry BB, this isn't directed at you, far from it. Just coming from a rural up-bringing, part of which was spent on a farm it's something I feel very strongly about.

/rant mode: DEFINATELY off:

No problem Gandhi.:) I like a strong debate with anyone who understands both sides of the story...(y)

The practice of hanging the corpses of vermin on fences goes right back to the days when a bounty was paid on certain species, and gamekeepers did this anyway to show His Lordship that they were doing their job. With these occupations often being a father/son tradition, practices get handed down through the generations.

Pity the poor keeper on a posh shooting day when he couldn't put pheasants over the Guns, and if there were too many magpies knocking about his position was decidedly insecure. ;)

ohhh the controversy....

busterboy said:
No mate. Their excuse is the little buggers can ruin acres of land including crops which farmers depend on for their livelihood.
That may be the case in some circumstances, but that field in the photo isn't a crop field, granted there may be one on this side of the fence.
There's still no reason for them to be hung on the fence for all to see, surely its in the farmers interest to not advertise this practice in this day and age.

Cats aren't a pest Matt
Thats a matter of opinion ;).

Again Matt I am not here to rain on your parade or to cause any trouble but people from the cities do not know the way of the countryside..:(
Just take a look at the hunting ban, Humans have been hunting since the stone age and just because certain pompous do goodies in Parliament have a bit of clout they ban it..:annoyed:
I don't have anything against hunting, as long as its for food and not trophies.

I have made my point, I hope I haven't offended anyone, If I have please come to my house for a week (free accommodation too)
I will let you see the mess/spoils of both the mole and the fox./Rant over.:D
I'm not offended, everybody has a point of view and i've aired mine.
So we're all coming round for the week, get the kettle on. :D

I took that photo out of the car window, I was doing about 15 mph! No way was I stopping! But in the fields there were thousands of molehills, I kid you not! Also it was very much off the beaten track. I have absolutly no idea why they were hung on the fence. I myself, do not condone cruelty to animals. but some people go WAY overboard about it.

PS, mines milk, two sugars!

Back