Critique Hanningfield Reservoir

LewisHall

Suspended / Banned
Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few from Hanningfield the other day...

thoughts on black and white or colour for the picture of the wasp would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! (y)

Lewis, to my eye there is something odd about these images. They look to have very low contrast and an overall misty look to them. Here is the histogram of the spider.

NOT MY IMAGE - LewisHall spider histogram
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Notice the huge gap at the bottom of the histogram. All four have histograms like this. Is this an effect you have produced deliberately (in post processing presumably) to please your eye? If so, please read no further, as it is what pleases you that matters.

Here is what the duck image looks like when adjusted to close up that gap. It is a matter of taste exactly what changes to make - it is simply the general principle that I'm addressing here.

NOT MY IMAGE - LewisHall duck adjusted

You will see from the sliders on the right that I have also adjusted the white balance. Another matter of taste.

And here is the ant, similarly adjusted.

NOT MY IMAGE - LewisHall ant adjusted

Like I said, these may be carefully adjusted to meet your preferences, in which case you won't like what I've done to them! And if that is the case, that is fine of course. :)

Lewis, to my eye there is something odd about these images. They look to have very low contrast and an overall misty look to them. Here is the histogram of the spider.

Notice the huge gap at the bottom of the histogram. All four have histograms like this. Is this an effect you have produced deliberately (in post processing presumably) to please your eye? If so, please read no further, as it is what pleases you that matters.

Here is what the duck image looks like when adjusted to close up that gap. It is a matter of taste exactly what changes to make - it is simply the general principle that I'm addressing here.

You will see from the sliders on the right that I have also adjusted the white balance. Another matter of taste.

Like I said, these may be carefully adjusted to meet your preferences, in which case you won't like what I've done to them! And if that is the case, that is fine of course. :)

Thanks! I did actually choose for them to be like that lol I originally had them how you edited to but I really like the faded/matte look I understand though it's not to everyone's taste! Thanks for the advice though!!

I like the tone of the ant and spider, guess that you did it intentionally, brings out something different. Would you mind sharing how did you process them?

I tried black and white for insect macro, certainly not my taste. By the way, the last one is a hoverfly, not a wasp. Sorry that I have a OCD about insect:p

Nice images but not your processing (sorry) last one is a Hoverfly not a wasp.

I like the tone of the ant and spider, guess that you did it intentionally, brings out something different. Would you mind sharing how did you process them?

I tried black and white for insect macro, certainly not my taste. By the way, the last one is a hoverfly, not a wasp. Sorry that I have a OCD about insect:p

Thankyou! yes was intentional, ill share a picture of the PP..

Yeah i weren't to sure myself about the black and white just thought it was something different. Thanks lol I'm not that great with insects :confused:

These are them without the faded PP ......

Both sets of pics are much better than anything i could ever do! but personally i prefer the ones without the fade, really cool!

Both sets of pics are much better than anything i could ever do! but personally i prefer the ones without the fade, really cool!

Thankyou!!

For the duckling and I know a) I often don't and b) it is pain - it would be better if it you were at its level.

Hi Lewis, they are nice shots but I agree with Graham about them having a misty look, an edit like Graham has shown will bring them back :)

Nice images but not your processing (sorry) last one is a Hoverfly not a wasp.

Well shot images but let down by the PP

Wasps and bees have antenae hoverflies do not
http://syrphidae.3644.co.uk/

Okay so I've redone my PP once again and think these are what I'm most happy with..

Back