Happy 50th Birthday, Star Trek

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
It is on this day five decades ago that an epoch-defining - and my all time favourite - television series was launched onto an unsuspecting public.

So, I thought I'd celebrate it in my own style . . .

Star20Trek2050th_zpswleorxqp.jpg

I'm currently working through the Blu-Ray tng box set and Voy on SyFy HD. Great stuff.

Having watched the first series from when it arrived in the UK, the 50th anniversary just makes me feel old....

7 of 9 fuels my youth though!

https://goo.gl/images/pBqkct

Crikey, doesn't time fly :D

Yep, I also watched it when it first aired (68 -69?) & been hooked ever since. :cool:

Star Trek is older than me!
Yeay!! :banana:

i used to go next door but one to watch star trek in the 60's in colour :) we only had a black n white tv at the time

just watched a documentary called for the love of spock i found it quite interesting

It seems the Star Trek Online players held a candle-lit vigil in Quark's Bar.

I wish I could understand what people see in the original series. To be honest the only thing with the original cast that I liked was the fourth film which was packed with exceptionally funny jokes. DS9 was full of interesting ideas. Once Voyager got out of the first series it settled down to some good solid entertainment. Enterprise was the opposite: the first series was very good but then it just lost its sparkle.

I wish I could understand what people see in the original series. To be honest the only thing with the original cast that I liked was the fourth film which was packed with exceptionally funny jokes. DS9 was full of interesting ideas. Once Voyager got out of the first series it settled down to some good solid entertainment. Enterprise was the opposite: the first series was very good but then it just lost its sparkle.

It has to be judged against what was available at the time in the UK. I remember being blown away when I first watched it as a kid.

I remember being blown away when I first watched it as a kid.
I would have been around 18 when the first episodes were aired in Britain. I remember thinking they weren't as well done as Supercar or Fireball XL5. Apart from Deforest Kelley none of the cast were as engaging as Anderson's puppets either. Some of the actresses had very nice legs though. :naughty:

Sad to read the Rene Auberjonois has died.

He has morphed/moved on to another phase of existence.........RIP Odo

PS I just checked his biog to learn he also played Father Mulcahy in one of the best (anti)War series MASH........I had no idea he was that actor!

Last edited:
Sad to hear, RIP

PS I just checked his biog to learn he also played Father Mulcahy in one of the best (anti)War series MASH........I had no idea he was that actor!

Yes, I'd forgotten he'd played that role, that was in the movie though. I think William Christopher is more often remembered for it as he played him in the tv series.

Loved him in Benson.

Back